i think this exam was harder than the apr exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no use thinking of what could have and should have. Just give me a double of what "Pissed off Eng" is having. That will numb the pain.

There is no use thinking of what could have and should have. Just give me a double of what "Pissed off Eng" is having. That will numb the pain.
I agree. Screw it - head to the nearest bar after work, order TWO doubles of PissedOff's drink, and raise them up in a comiserating toast to all of us who worked so hard for last Friday.

Cheers, everyone. :drunk: If it's any comfort, several of my PE coworkers said they were SURE they failed it when they left the exam, only to get the good news in the mail a few months later.

I agree. Screw it - head to the nearest bar after work, order TWO doubles of PissedOff's drink, and raise them up in a comiserating toast to all of us who worked so hard for last Friday.
Cheers, everyone. :drunk: If it's any comfort, several of my PE coworkers said they were SURE they failed it when they left the exam, only to get the good news in the mail a few months later.
Im going to alternate between rum & coke's and dirty martini's as i work on my grand master plan of hot dog carting. This totally sucks!!!!!

a. Are they gonna be Chicago-style? I love those ... extra sport peppers, please!

b. I just saw that the April 09 pass rate for EE PE's was 36.59%. I might open my own cart service next to your Chicago-style redhots cart. Mine will be Bloody marys and martinis! (oh wait, do I need a liquor license for that? Fricking licenses...*grumble*)

This was my 2nd time. I first took the test in April 2008 with the Geotech depth and failed with a 52/80 (32 morn, 20 aft). I thought this Oct 09 test with Geotech depth was easier or maybe it's because I studied nothing but Geotech this time, although I did not put that many study hours into it. I felt I got 35 to 37 in the morning and 32 to 34 in the afternoon for sure.

The 6-minute solutions Geotech book I bought for this time really helped as there were several problems on the test just like the book example problems.

Several? I can only remember two. I hope that's not a bad sign. I took construction last april and was completely blown away at what was on the test compared to what I studied. This time around, I felt better about the morning but it's my first time with geotech. I'm hoping the morning pulled me through.

^well yeah 2 for sure but I thought it was 3 or 4 that were "similar" to the SMS book.

I agree, I think the exam was hard overall. It was my first time taking it. I didn't finish the morning or the afternoon, so I had to completely guess on a few questions. I did the Water/Environmental section in the afternoon. The Water stuff wasn't bad, but I thought the Environmental was hard. I took it in OR, so I guess I have to wait until mid January to find out. If the results come out so late, that would be passed the deadline for the registration for the April test. So if you don't pass, do you have to wait to take it in October?

I think the morning part was really easy, but the in the evening part was a little bit harder. Although I am glad that there were no borrow pit questions, but they had way too many seismic questions.

I agree, I think the exam was hard overall. It was my first time taking it. I didn't finish the morning or the afternoon, so I had to completely guess on a few questions. I did the Water/Environmental section in the afternoon. The Water stuff wasn't bad, but I thought the Environmental was hard. I took it in OR, so I guess I have to wait until mid January to find out. If the results come out so late, that would be passed the deadline for the registration for the April test. So if you don't pass, do you have to wait to take it in October?
This is my first post and October was my second time taking the exam.

I also took the Water/Environmental section in the afternoon and was not aware that the percentages had changed from previous exams. I originally planned to take the Transportation afternoon section, but after the first couple questions I second guessed myself and went back to the WR section only to find out that half of that afternoon section was Environmental. Seemed to me in April the % Environmental was less, but in October question #21 was the beginning of the Environmental. I did however feel as though the morning portion was much easier than what I had in April and heard many other test takers saying the same.

My biggest complaint about this whole process is the lack of communication from the state/ncees/whoever is in charge. I didn't receive a reminder email, or any kind of notification that money was due and ended up looking out of curiosity on the ncees website only to find out I had two days left to pay my sign up fee. Also, I have borrowed study material from people who have taken the test in the past and that is where I based my subject percentages from and obviously they have updated that, but unless I spent time on their website I would have never known about the change. I could have remedied these issues by doing more research on the ncees website, but it would be nice if they would send out an official letter, letting you know what to look for as far as changes and also where to find them. I still have my failure email from April's exam and according to other people they got a score in the attachment, but I checked again and I don't see anything about a score.

Yes I guess the exam was harder than April. A friend of mine took Geotech in April and he suggested me for the same as easy route than taking Structural. I expected questions where you would be able to plug in numbers and do something, but it was almost complete practical geotechnical engineering. I hope the cutoff is lower for Geotech afternoon guys, since the Structural afternoon was piece of cake.
And someone said given the difficulty, can we expect cutoff of 50/80. Isn't this like the usual cutoff. I am told if you get 49 you are through.

The geotechnical engineering module had practical geotechnical engineering questions? That's a surprise...

For the sake of public safety I hope the cutoff is higher than 50.

The geotechnical engineering module had practical geotechnical engineering questions? That's a surprise...For the sake of public safety I hope the cutoff is higher than 50.
Right on the point. I mean, really, this is a matter of National Safety. The NCEES and the State Boards are responsible for this confusion. They control the application process so they are responsible for who takes what. If they can't control that then I think they should just give a general exam of the FE type.

The geotechnical engineering module had practical geotechnical engineering questions? That's a surprise...For the sake of public safety I hope the cutoff is higher than 50.
Forget 50! You have to shoot for at LEAST a 56. You can not count on a low cut-off score - that is a sure way to come up short every time.

Latest posts

Back