I hate Architects!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amen! I'll second that emotion!

Frank Gehry is a name that makes my skin crawl. If I see his name on a project, I'll gouge out my eyes and live the rest of my life trying to find my seeing eye dogs poop. The man takes inspiration for the shapes of his building from crumpled up balls of paper. What the hell is wrong with a square building?

Working for a GC/CM - I could not agree more. Architects are even lower on my list than lawyers.

-Ray

:) Very funny thread.

I guess I haven't worked with enough architects yet, because I still place lawyers below them.

If you want it pretty, and want the design to change a thousand times, and openings to move after reinforcing has been installed, and un-coordinated drawings, a smart ass attitutude when you question the colorful drawing, hire an architect
If you want it to work, hire an engineer!

Architect: "What do you mean you can't fit the 3,000 amp (480 volt) switchboard, 2-150 kVa transfomers, 4-400 amp panels, and 10-starters in the 50 square foot room I gave you that only has one exit?"

I rest my case.

The main electrical room at the Milwaukee Art Museum (Architect: Santiago Calatrava) is the only electrical room I can think of that has windows in it (kinda like a skylight from down in the room). On the NorthWest side of the building you can actually look down from sidewalk level into the main electrial room and see the 13.2kV gear, main 480 volt switchboard, etc.

The main electrical room at the Milwaukee Art Museum (Architect: Santiago Calatrava) is the only electrical room I can think of that has windows in it (kinda like a skylight from down in the room). On the NorthWest side of the building you can actually look down from sidewalk level into the main electrial room and see the 13.2kV gear, main 480 volt switchboard, etc.
I've done some work in commercial buildings. This is gonna sound stupid, but is this a safety issue or just something that looks silly (being able to see the equipment)?

I would guess it could be a target for vandalism or terrorist activities.

Ed

Last edited:
I've done some work in commercial buildings. This is gonna sound stupid, but is this a safety issue or just something that looks silly (being able to see the equipment)?

Ed
Calatrava is my favorite architect - he designed that famous suspension bridge in Boston. I believe he is also an engineer, but I'm not up on my bios for architects lately.

Ed
I know Calatrava insisted that the glass be there, as from the outside it would look strange if the glass wasn't in that room (wouldn't look balanced/repetitious/whatever), granted that glass they are matching to is for the underground parking ramp (sounds strange that a parking ramp could be impressive, but it is by far the nicest parking structure I have ever been in... all ductwork/conduit is concealed, etc.... but at a construction cost of about $55k per space it better be).

Honestly I don't think would notice that the electrical gear is right below them and 'right through that window'. Its something that I knew was there because I was down in the electrical room once, I knew it had glass and knew about where to look for it. Apparently the inspectors/building officials/owner of the project didn't see it as a problem. From what I heard Calatrava is pretty demanding about things being done his way. The setup is definitely strange; I don't think it is a real safety risk. As far as terrorist/vandalism, much tougher to define if that would be a problem as anything can be a target... all I can say is most building have exterior transformers that are even easier to access than this equipment (meaning buildings that are not in urban centers). It is the most unique electrical room I have ever encountered.

Latest posts

Back