Hydraulic Conductivity

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mack75

Can anybody help me on how does temperature affect hydraulic conductivity?

Thanks for the help in advance!!!

K (the hydrualic conductivity) is dependent on the properties of the liquid (basically its density and absolute viscosity) moving through the soil, which in turn are affected by changes in temperature...

i.e.

K = k*rho*g/mu

I hope that helped.

Regards.....

^^^ That is correct. One important point though, the lower case k refers to the Intrinsic Permeability. Becareful, because many people try to use those properties (parameters) interchangeably.

JR

Can anybody help me on how does temperature affect hydraulic conductivity?
Thanks for the help in advance!!!
I would add on JR's comment above

Think it like this: intrinsic permeability is the measure of how porous (or easy) is a soil column to pass A fluid through it. It could be oil, gas, or water. It has a unit of [L2]. No time associated with it. Now as hydrologicst you would like to know how FAST water can go through this column of soil. This become hydraulic conductivity and then obviously the charactristics of this fluid comes into play, hence dependent on density and viscosity.

Now to take it one step further hydraulic conductivty is dependent on moisture content too. If the soil is completely saturated it is easy for the water to go faster. Therefore, the unsaturated hydraulic condactivity (the rate of water travel per time) approaches the saturated hydrualic conductivity values as the moisture content increases. Hope I did't confuse you more.

Best

I would be willing to contribute after the exam....

So feel free to harass me next week....

Back