How'd You Meet Your Lover?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Met mine at school. Two older (25 year old) nerds returning to college to finish degrees started years earlier. She studied atmospheric science and meteorology and I obviously engineering.

Asked her to go hiking and it took off from there. We investigated the geology of the area, a tree hit by lightning and really hit it off.

Been together 5 years and getting married in June.

Haha. I tried that site for awhile but just got a messages from older guys looking for a booty call. No thanks.

Copied from some other forum:

My wife and I started dating when we were seniors in high school. I was dating her best friend at the time. I had suspicions that her best friend was cheating on me with her ex and I knew we weren't going to have much of a future so I broke up with her and started dating my future wife. She had big plans to go to the University of Georgia for college and I was going to Clemson. Towards the end of our senior year she decided she wanted to go to Clemson (at the time she said it wasn't because of me, later in life she said she knew I was the guy she was going to marry and she didn't want to do the long distance thing for 4 years). We broke up for a semester during our Junior year at Clemson and then after graduation she moved to Atlanta and I stayed in Clemson for grad school. We got married about a month after I graduated and I moved to Atlanta. 8 years and 3 kids later and we're very happily married.

The one before that I met on plentyoffish.com.
I remember the old ad for plentyoffish...I thought it was "Plenty Offish" rather than "Plenty of Fish" and wondered why there would be a whole site dedicated to people who were "off."
There's an eb.com, right?

Met my wife in college, in marching band. So not only am I an enginerd, I'm also a band geek.

I remember the old ad for plentyoffish...I thought it was "Plenty Offish" rather than "Plenty of Fish" and wondered why there would be a whole site dedicated to people who were "off."

Met my wife in college, in marching band. So not only am I an enginerd, I'm also a band geek.
This one time at band camp...

This one time at band camp...
Funny enough, my wife played piccolo. But she never partook in that particular deed to whoch you refer.

Krak & VTE,

For what it's worth, it seems like I saw something recently on television that said that the ideal place to pick up a date was a coffee shop or a book store. Stating the obvious, but the bar scene is not conducive to finding someone for a long term, committed relationship. Most of the single folks at bars/clubs are there for quick hook ups.

Not sure if that helps or not, but if you're trying to find your future spouse at a bar you may want to start spending more time at Barnes and Noble and Starbucks.

Also, I haven't been single since 2001 and when I was I went to a lot of bars. So I really don't have anything valuable to offer except for unsolicited speculative advice at best.

^^^ I was engaged before I turned 21 and never had a fake ID, so I've never been to a bar as a "single" guy. Consequently, I don't even know how to score a "quick hook-up"...

Last edited by a moderator:
^Ah yes, that thread I started a long time ago!

I'm just quirky and weird and am convinced that probably only other engineers will "get" me.
I used to think the same thing. But my girlfriend is (or at least was) an elephant trainer.

Maybe you should check out the zoo?

^Ah yes, that thread I started a long time ago!

I'm just quirky and weird and am convinced that probably only other engineers will "get" me.
I used to think the same thing. But my girlfriend is (or at least was) an elephant trainer.

Maybe you should check out the zoo?
It seems like there could be a joke here ...

Back