How Much of Pay Raise after PE Certification?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi:
I just wanted to see what is the average pay raise that people typically get after getting their first PE license. Our company policy says that $100/month will be added to the gross salary. Please post the raise that you have received or expected to receive.

-------------------------------------------------

PE Civil - California

with Environmental section for the afternoon.

Exam date - Oct 26 & 27 - first attempt

MS - Environmental Engineering
My company used to give $500/mo increase, but now its down to $250/mo. just for passing. Its immediate. They also have very nice ee referral bonuses (I believe $1000 to refer a licensed PE).

How about a congratulatory lunch and a pay cut. I was informed by my supervisor that since I am now a 'professional' I am no longer eligible for overtime, which I had anticipated, but I didn't get a raise, so effectively I just got bumped down in pay. Hooray.
WOWWW....this is new... :) This always happen when we are professional. Smetimes people will abuse us. I've been working for 4 years now yet my salary still the same since the 1st year. :(

regards,

kelly

Simulation pret
May be time to cut and run!

I got a 0% annual raise and a 0% one time bonus, but significant amounts of prestige from the other Professional Engineers in my group. My company paid $0 toward my P.E. license and $0 toward my PE application.
But my company has some other awesome benefits (paid overtime) and are great to work for, so I can't complain.
My company pays for the first exam fee, and exam materials OR a study course. I guess they are pretty nice!!

I don't get an immediate raise, but now that I have my PE, in another 9 months I'm eligible for a promotion, which presumably includes a raise. Hopefully we'll be done with budget cuts by then and I can get a decent raise.

My company did pay for the exam and will pay for my license fees, but I bought my own study materials.

Oh, and my boss bought a cake when I got my results. That counts as a raise, right?

CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE ONES WHO PASSES THE OCT. 2009!! I PASS THE TEST FINALLY.... AFTER 6 TIMES!! :party-smiley-048:

haha...ahh the raise issue. My old firm gave 2 raises per year guaranteed. kind of performance based...but more kiss-A$$ed based. Well, it's great to have passed the PE exam

I passed the PE in April '09. My company reimbursed me for my exam fees (for all 4 tries) and gave me a $1000/yr raise. That was in June. I just had my year end review and my boss told me that I'm underpaid, he appreciates the work that I do and he'll work to get my salary where it should be. Then he gave me a $10k/year raise. NICE!

Out of the blue my boss cut me a check for $500 yesterday as a reward for passing the exam. Very nice surprise. We'll see what happens to my salary in the next week or so. A $10k raise would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

I passed the PE in April '09. My company reimbursed me for my exam fees (for all 4 tries) and gave me a $1000/yr raise. That was in June. I just had my year end review and my boss told me that I'm underpaid, he appreciates the work that I do and he'll work to get my salary where it should be. Then he gave me a $10k/year raise. NICE!
KEG, your books had good luck for me on the exam.... I hope they also have good luck in the pay department! 10k would be amazing. There'd be an SRT10 in the garage next to the Z06. ;)

KEG, your books had good luck for me on the exam.... I hope they also have good luck in the pay department! 10k would be amazing. There'd be an SRT10 in the garage next to the Z06. ;)
Glad they helped and congrats on passing.

Chucktown PE Posted Today, 11:16 AM

Dang, I don't know what I'd do with $10k a year right now. I'm sure my wife would figure out a way to spend it rapidly.

Pretty sure the wife will figure out a way to spend it but I'm going to bump up my 401k and divert some to my secret savings account before she sees it!

My company gives a $500 one-time bonus for the PE...

I will likely have to move companies to get my "raise".

All expenses (books, travel, etc) covered.

$2,500 spot bonus for passing the exam (Uncle Sam took a nice chunk out of it thought)

Probably the regular 5-6% raise. Given the market conditions, I am not complaining.

CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE ONES WHO PASSES THE OCT. 2009!! I PASS THE TEST FINALLY.... AFTER 6 TIMES!! :party-smiley-048:

CONGRATS! I'm working on my fifth attempt. Will get there...someday. Glad to hear you made it!

Happy New Year!

All expenses (books, travel, etc) covered.$2,500 spot bonus for passing the exam (Uncle Sam took a nice chunk out of it thought)

Probably the regular 5-6% raise. Given the market conditions, I am not complaining.
Similar where I was at the time that I passed, although they didn't pay for any expenses because I already had my books and was already signed up for the exam. I did get an extra $2500 bonus on top of the regular bonus we got that year, but no salary increase. I think that was more a reflection on how poor the business was doing rather than how they felt about my worth after passing the exam.

I was in the middle of a salary negotiation and got an extra $50 per week added to my job offer.

This morning the boss man gave me a promotion and a $7k a year salary increase as a result of earning my license. I was really not expecting that. What a nice way to start the day.

So, how do you initiate the "sit-down" with your boss to discuss a "potential raise" ?

Back