How many years out of college were you when you got your PE??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Graduated with BSEE in May 2007

Passed FE first try October 2006

Passed PE first try April 2012

So it was about 4.5 year out of school for me.

For the sake of Pete...I got my PE for the very fact that my snazzy, top-ranked engineering school did a poor job of making me a "practical" engineer. I am grateful to my school, but geez, every school has its own strengths. Mine was very good on the theory but not so much the nuts and bolts. Studying for the PE really helped me there. Anyone who graduates with an engineering degree from a top-ranked school or not should be proud.

I took the FE fall of my senior year and then took the PE 5.5 years later, for a total of 5 years out of school.

8 years after undergrad

BSCE 2004

MSCE 2012

FE Oct 2011 (first try)

PE April 2012 (first try that wasn't the morning after the most amazing game 6 where my favorite team was one strike away from losing two separate times and came back to win)

Graduated in 1990, Passed FE finally after numerous attempts October 2011 and taking the PE in three weeks. Wish me luck! I'll report back but I hope the answer will be 22 years after graduation.

HS June 2003

FE October 2007

BSCE May 2007

MSSE January 2009

PE (Civ/Str) December 2012

PhD ... in progress

Got my PE just under 4 years out of school.

BSEE: May 2008

MSEE: Dec 2009

PE: Oct 2012

Exactly 4 years at the time of application

BSME and EIT 2006

MSME 2012

PE 2012? Right now I am 6.5 years out of having a BS.

Back