How long did your PE application take?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took me a lot of time over the course of a few months to finish my application.

I had to get work history confirmation and/or references from 4 different employers - current employer, previous employer, and then 2 places where I co-oped. I already had close to 4 years without the co-oping, but just in case they didn't count some of that (since I was in grad school for part of the time) I wanted to get credit for co-oping. So that was a pain, especially since three employers were in a different state than I was currently residing, and one company where I co-oped completely moved their ENTIRE engineering division to another office, so none of those business cards I had contained correct phone numbers.

In addition, I had to fax in requests and pay fees to get the state of Georgia to send Virginia my F.E. scores. And of course, I had to request transcripts from school and grad school, which took a while to get mailed. I emailed/called all of the previous employers separately and wrote cover letters for all my faxed information requests.

I still studied more (~100 hrs) for the exam than preparing the application.... I'd estimate I spent like 40 hrs, maybe more, on the application.

It took me a day to complete and another week for my references to get me their envelopes.

I think I spent about 30 hours.

Writing my experience record wasn't too terrible because I was able to get my timesheets from all of my employers in Excel. I just sorted them by project number which gave me a complete list of every project I've worked on. Then I divided them up into the different types of projects and wrote out a description for each type (maybe 6 or 7 different types). At the end of each description I listed the names of the projects meeting that description, plus a few words identifying things that made each project unique (if any). I ended up with 5 or 6 pages but it really wasn't that bad.

Back