How I Passed the Thermal / Fluid PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing I did was to write the units for the answer choices beside the answers before I started working on the problem.  That served as a final reminder to check the units on my calculated answer against the units for the answer choices.  If you don't pay attention to your units, you're going to have problems on this test, but you won't know it because they'll include the usual unit mistakes as answer choices.

Hello everyone!

I plan on taking the April 2018 exam in Minnesota.

I have noticed for nearly all of the recommendations that rarely anyone mentions the example problems found in the MERM. Are these example problems good practice for understanding theory or is it well accepted that they aren't worth anyone's time?

Cheers!
In version 13, they moved the in-text problems to a separate book.  That may be why.

I passed the PE Exam on October 2017 following this thread. Studied for about 220 hours. I have a coworker that used the same recipe and also passed. I'd almost go as far as saying it guarantees a passing score. Reviewed the MERM and its examples, worked SMS twice (thought it was overkill) and did the practice test around 4 times. All I can say is thank you for sharing your approach!

In version 13, they moved the in-text problems to a separate book.  That may be why.
The Thirteenth Edition has problem in the book. I am aware that there is another book with additional problems that go with the book. My original question was regarding why people never seem to talk about the example problems in the MERM.

The Thirteenth Edition has problem in the book. I am aware that there is another book with additional problems that go with the book. My original question was regarding why people never seem to talk about the example problems in the MERM.
Because most people just skim through the MERM and try to solve as many problems as possible from other books/ practice exam. I did all the examples in the MERM for the TFS and I thought they were great.

I took the TFS exam in October and I passed. I was never a big fan of solving certain problems or exams gazillion times until you get them 100% correct, so I didn't do that. But solving problems, a lot of problems, is extremely important. Here's my 2 cents:
- The NCEES practice exam and Slay the PE exam (the exam is free but the solution isn't) were great. The Engineering Pro Guides exam is too easy and I personally believe that the study guide is a waste of time and money.
- Create your own reference manual and get familiar with it. This can contain charts, graphs, steam tables, air tables, solved problems, or whatever else you feel like. 
- Tab the **** out of your MERM
- The Six-Minute Solutions book is total garbage
- Lindebrug's Unit Conversion book is a life saver
- PPI's new TFS reference manual contains some decent problems, but it's far from conclusive. It has nothing about HVAC and it's chapter about Supportive Knowledge is a joke.

For those who passed the TFS exam, how did you deal with the problems that involved cooling towers and stack temperatures? The MREM was not that helpful in that area

Because most people just skim through the MERM and try to solve as many problems as possible from other books/ practice exam. I did all the examples in the MERM for the TFS and I thought they were great.
My intent is to work through all of the relevant MERM before even attempting the practice exam. In my head, I theorize that going through the MERM problems will get me 80% the way there in terms of sheer knowledge. The rest of the 20% will come from working the other references and developing good test habits.

My intent is to work through all of the relevant MERM before even attempting the practice exam. In my head, I theorize that going through the MERM problems will get me 80% the way there in terms of sheer knowledge. The rest of the 20% will come from working the other references and developing good test habits.
That's pretty much what I did. The only difference is I spent almost 60% of my time studying the MERM and the other 40% with everything else.

May I add that the Engineering Pro Guide's creator is a very helpful and respectful person. He reached out to me and offered to refund me for the guide and asked me for my feedback. I think that the next version of the guide and practice exam will be great. 

Hello,

Thank you all for sharing this. I am new here and I will take the April 2018 TFS exam.

I read through all the advice and I have few questions in general, please feel free to answer, any input is appreciated.

1. I always see Psychrometric Charts being printed 11x17 - is this a must? or a letter size will do? I have printed bunch of Standard, low pressure, low temperature, high temperature charts, will this be of any use in the exam? or does any of you who already have taken the test used the other charts than the standar?

2. I was reading the MERM introduction, and saw this list of reference, "Table 3" although based on what I read here, most of the reference in that table were not mentioned except for TEMA standards where according to that fellow Engineer he did not even used it during the exam. I would like to ask for more input/opinion on the references listed on "table 3" in the MERM introduction. The rest that I did not list down here I know for sure I'm gonna need it based on what I read on this thread.

These are the list of references in the MERM introduction "Table 3". I need to decide if I will be using these references but please do advice me if its necessary or not. 

a.) Air Tables- Gas Tables by Keenan and KEyes

b.) Compressible flow Tables (included in Gas tables)

c.) Mark's Handbook

d.) TEMA Standards

e.) Heat Transfer Book (any suggestion? which book if this is necessary?)

f.) ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals

g.) ASHRAE Pocket Guide Inch Pound Edition

h.) Crane/s Flow of Fluid's TP410 (I have the Metric edition the one you can download off google) 

i.) NFPA Standards - I don't think this is needed but no harm asking. 

3. Also with this new exam specifications, does the MERM covers all? I have read someone said about cooling tower problems being not in the MERM but came out in the exam?

@Vel2018 

1.  With respect to the 11 x 17 psych charts, it all depends on your eyesight.  If you feel comfortable with a smaller psych chart then that should be sufficient.  I have helped some people that have difficulty interpolating with the smaller charts.  

2.  Here is my opinion on the list of references needed for the Thermal & Fluids PE exam.  I can't speak to all of those items on your list, but the ASHRAE Fundamentals book has a good heat transfer section.  So maybe you can save some money and not get another heat transfer book, if you already have the ASHRAE Fundamentals section.  I think the main thing is to go through each of the NCEES outline items and ensure that you have sufficient references for each item. 

http://www.engproguides.com/thermalreferences.html

(I don't think you need to purchase the Power Plant Engineering Book or the Hydraulics & Pneumatics book, if you have some practical experience with these topics.  I only recommend these books because it adds real-life context and practical background knowledge to the concepts and skills tested on the PE exam.)

3.  I have received comments similar to what you read about the cooling tower information.  I think the ASHRAE Systems & Equipment book has a lot of information specific to many of the equipment listed in the NCEES outline.  Again, I put all that information on the previous link.  

Last edited by a moderator:
How well can someone do with using JUST the MERM, hand made cheat sheets, and the printed Appendix/Index?

I am simply too poor and uninterested in investing in a large library of books that I don't envision using even in my profession career (Google and borrowed references have practically eliminate any need for me to buy references for my work). Is it possible?

How well can someone do with using JUST the MERM, hand made cheat sheets, and the printed Appendix/Index?

I am simply too poor and uninterested in investing in a large library of books that I don't envision using even in my profession career (Google and borrowed references have practically eliminate any need for me to buy references for my work). Is it possible?
With a strong understanding of the subject material, you can pass the Thermal/Fluids with just the MERM.  I'd suggest buying the Lindeburg conversion book for the convenience and time it'll save you.  

With a strong understanding of the subject material, you can pass the Thermal/Fluids with just the MERM.  I'd suggest buying the Lindeburg conversion book for the convenience and time it'll save you.  
Hi, 

I agree, that is how I will prep for the exam, not just by practicing problems but rather understanding and knowing the theories and applications.

So far, I am thinking of using these books below and bring it to the exam:

1. MERM 13th Edition

2. Practice Problems (MERM13th Ed. Companion)

3. TFS Reference Manual by Hanson

4. SMS

5. NCEES Practice Exam 2011 and 2016

6. Flow of Fluids TP 410M (I got the Metric one) Should I get the English Unit version? Is this book worth it?

7. TEMA Standards

8. NCEES Reference Handbook

These below I am not sure:

a.) Air Tables- Gas Tables by Keenan and KEyes

b.) Compressible flow Tables (included in Gas tables)

c.) Mark's Handbook

d.) TEMA Standards

e.) Heat Transfer Book (any suggestion? which book if this is necessary?)

f.) ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals

g.) ASHRAE Pocket Guide Inch Pound Edition

Just needed inputs based on your experience with the exam, which books among these are of NO use? 

Thanks in advance! 

1.  Keep the Mark's at home.  It's of more use for the Machine Design folks.

2.  I did not find much use for the ASHRAE books and I expect that to be true with the improved MERM which has a more comprehensive HVAC section.

3.  Heat Xfer - I did not take a heat xfer book, nor did I need one.  You'll probably need one during your studies - particularly for some of the Nusselt number questions in the SMS.

4.  I took a more comprehensive set of steam/gas tables but that's because I had one available with better intervals that was present in the MERM.  The MERM is sufficient, including compressible flow tables.

I am not familiar with the TEMA standards but maybe one of the other folks on here can provide an opinion on that.

2.  I did not find much use for the ASHRAE books and I expect that to be true with the improved MERM which has a more comprehensive HVAC section.

3.  Heat Xfer - I did not take a heat xfer book, nor did I need one.  You'll probably need one during your studies - particularly for some of the Nusselt number questions in the SMS.

4.  I took a more comprehensive set of steam/gas tables but that's because I had one available with better intervals that was present in the MERM.  The MERM is sufficient, including compressible flow tables.

I am not familiar with the TEMA standards but maybe one of the other folks on here can provide an opinion on that.
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond appreciate it. As I am a dad with 7 and 8 yr old. It is the same for me, it is a one shot deal for me. I want to make it simple as possible, I have exactly 91 days to study from the test date and will probably just make 4-6 hours the most each day to review and practice.

I'm just a bit confused where to start since I saw lots of reference mentioned in the Table 3 MERM. 

Just a little bit of my background, I finished school way back 2006 from overseas. 

Then I took my FE Mechanical CBT in May of 2015, I did the same, I studied everyday for 5-7 hours each day and 8-12 hours during weekends for 3 months. 

I only used 3 reference, its the FE Mechanical Review Manual, the Practice companion and the thick Review Manual like for the General. I know I only need those 3 books for the FE.

But now  for the PE It's just quite overwhelming to see references like these where there are less subjects now. 

By the way I have the ASME Steam Table compact edition, this should suffice right? Also I bought a gas tables by Keenan and Kaye 1948 (do I NEED newer version)?

1. I don't even own Mark's for aforementioned reasons. I am glad I don't really need to buy it.

2. I have almost no familiarity with the ASHRAE series. I have only read the name while perusing the forums, but know nothing about it. I won't get it if it is truly not needed.

3. For Heat Transfer, I have goods and bads. I was fairly competent in college in this class and got A's in Heat Transfer I and II. The bad is I don't have a book because I needed money and needed to move. I am just going to have the make the MERM work for me here.

Also, I was turned off by the SMS as most users on here stated that it is practically useless for the new exam format and a waste of money.

4. I have the appendices printed, sheet protected, and binder bound. It has worked fairly well in my studies.

I think the only thing I plan on buying at this point is the exam itself ($350 is an ouch), the 2016 practice exam, and the Lindeburg unit conversions book. I am just gonna have to make it work

Back