how do you haul all this crap to the test?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a carry-on size luggage. When I got to the exam, I stood all the books upright so I could read the spline. It worked great for me, especially since I had to fly to my exam site. And yes, I took WAY too many books for the Civil exam, but I would take them all again if it meant getting one question…

I have heard stories including wagons, dollies, coolers, bookends, milk crates, suitcases, and wire grocery carts. Any opinions on which of these methods works best? I would like to work on this so I can get used to how the stuff is organized. I can see The Container Store in my future...
I think if you have to ask, you have too many references. Maybe time to pick a different depth?

If you're traveling by air to get to the site, it's easy - take a rolling suitcase. Otherwise, I concur anything with wheels is the way to go.

I used a rolling suitcase. It was very convenient especially with the elevator ride in the parking garage and the two-block walk from the garage to the testing center. My suitcase was pretty neat too because it was one of those that expands. It has a zipper all the way around the top cover if you don't need that much room. But if you want a little extra room, just unzip the zipper around the top cover, and it gives you a couple of inches more.

I use luggage but I've seen a lot of milk creates in the exam room too.

Both are great ways.

I threw caution to the wind and stuffed everything haphazardly into a large 10-year old duffel bag. It was heavy and pointy, and ripped a big hole in the seams.

Not one of my better test prep efforts.

Here's what I used, and I found it to be quite usefull.....I straped 2 milk crates to one of those old aluminum luggage cariers with zip ties. That handled all the reference manuals and a couple of other guides. Then I sat a milk crate on top that had all my actual notebooks with everything I had worked on through my studying. This I was able to sit on top of the table in front of me. The other sat beside me, and provided another out of the way area to sit reference books during the test. I really think it was one of the most organised layouts that I saw in the exam room, and many others told me that too.....here's a picture.

I think if you have to ask, you have too many references. Maybe time to pick a different depth?
If you're traveling by air to get to the site, it's easy - take a rolling suitcase. Otherwise, I concur anything with wheels is the way to go.
I don't think I have too much. One milk crate of binders, one of depth books, and ~2/3 of "other", and hopefully my supply rubbermaid will fit in this one, although I haven't tried it yet. Three isn't too much is it? My depth is WR, so I have more than I had hoped just because I'm not sure what they'll be asking on some topics they added.

I think changing depths is a HORRIBLE idea- I do hydraulics and hydrology every day and already own all these books. Don't worry, I'm leaving a lot at home :)

My guess is that you have too much stuff (depending on discipline) if you are worried about hauling it. Some disciplines require more references i'm sure, but I had a box that was used to ship 8.5 x 11 printer paper that I stuck my books in..it was more than enough. I didn't end up using half of my references.

I only used 4 or 5 of the references I took in....ME exam.

*off I trot to the WR forum to see what I can get rid of*

I have the same amount of stuff as is in NCCarguy's pic- still too much? I'm not so much worried about being able to cart it as much as what method of carting is the most usable during the test.

Alas, I will get it down to 2 milk crates. :-(

Here's what I used, and I found it to be quite usefull.....I straped 2 milk crates to one of those old aluminum luggage cariers with zip ties. That handled all the reference manuals and a couple of other guides. Then I sat a milk crate on top that had all my actual notebooks with everything I had worked on through my studying. This I was able to sit on top of the table in front of me. The other sat beside me, and provided another out of the way area to sit reference books during the test. I really think it was one of the most organised layouts that I saw in the exam room, and many others told me that too.....here's a picture.
Wow!! I didn't think of bringing a fridge. I just brought a couple of granola bars.

I thought about brining my Homedics shiatsu back massager with remote control, but I figured the odds of me getting a seat near an outlet was slim and I didn't know what size circuit breakers they had. :15:

My guess is that you have too much stuff (depending on discipline) if you are worried about hauling it. Some disciplines require more references i'm sure, but I had a box that was used to ship 8.5 x 11 printer paper that I stuck my books in..it was more than enough. I didn't end up using half of my references.
I only used 4 or 5 of the references I took in....ME exam.
Civil (and Structural) examinees always have the most references... because NCEES provides us with a nice LONG list of references (mostly outdated codes!) that we *might* need for the exam... check it out here: Construction, Structural, and Transportation

Each of those lists could easily fill a crate... and there is NO guarantee that those references will only be required for the afternoon portion of the exam, so some might argue that you could conceivably need everything on all 3 lists! And, on top of all of that, you still need the CERM (or the 5-8 text books that the CERM replaces), any practice problems that you are taking in with you, binders of notes, etc.

I used two milk crates my first time and will again for the next test.

One thing I thought was pretty clever, my table mate brought metal book ends so she made a little library on the table instead of the stacks I used.

I used two milk crates my first time and will again for the next test.
One thing I thought was pretty clever, my table mate brought metal book ends so she made a little library on the table instead of the stacks I used.
My coworker did that but she said they fell down twice during the test.

I had two crates laying on my hand truck face up on the floor with a small crate on the table that had my CERM, discipline notebooks, unit conversion book, and AASHTO Green Book....

Transpo has a lot of references, nature of the beast I guess. Somewhere I posted in a thread everything I brought and how I organized it... I will try to find that thread.

HPIM1612x.jpg

HPIM1607x.jpg

HPIM1611x.jpg

I brought my books in in an old metal shopping cart thing (like would be used in the city, not an actual shopping cart...hmm...although...) and a laundry basket. I did transportation, with the giant MUTCD and such. I put some books up on the table (like CERM) and then stacked the rest in the basket on the floor so I could see the titles. Worked well, but my cart is OLD and squeaky, so at the end when I thought I might leave early, I didn't want to, because I was afraid of the noise I might make. This time (STUPID FAILING LETTER) I will be using some milk crates.

Latest posts

Back