how do you haul all this crap to the test?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 2 big milk crates that I'm bringing. I will tip them sideways and use them as a library on the desk.
I think the proctors at the Chicago location took the same view concerning the milk crates. They had everybody put their boxes in the corner of the room. There were some people that had their references set on edge so they were allowing stacks greater than 6 inches in height.

I got 2 of the "Quick Crate" rolling crates, I stacked the books with the bind up so that all I had to do was unstack them and it was excellent for access and easy to roll to the test site.

I have read some of the folks talking about only taking one book and things like that. I took the stance that if I am going to pay a couple hundred dollars fot exam fee, gas, hotel room, meals, etc... I am going to take enough ammo in to battle to win the fight. I can remember at least 8 questions that I found nothing in the CERM that I found in textbooks that I had brought, that would put most people over the top. Don't get me wrong, the CERM is an invaluable tool but it does not have everything.

If you have access to "Geotechnical and Foundation Engineering" by Robert W. Day it is an excellent reference for soils question, I highly reccomend it.

Also in Virginia nothing is allowed on the table except for you calculator, test, pencil and the book you are currently using. The proctors were pretty nice to me but I could hear the jumping folks left and right about stacking books on there desk after using them.

I had a big tupperware crate that made a nice secondary table at my side. It was a little awkward carry it though.

I saw one guy that had one that had wheels on the bottom. He must have gone to the container store. One of those wheeled coolers would work too, then you are all set for the after party!

If you are taking the test in Virginia be aware that you are not allowed to have anything in the walkways around the table, apparently a poctor fell over a suitcase and broke her leg during an exam so that will limit your options some, I saw some of the folks with bookshelves strapped to dollies having a pretty hard time, not to mention the people with the "Radio Flyer" wagons.

I got 2 of the "Quick Crate" rolling crates, I stacked the books with the bind up so that all I had to do was unstack them and it was excellent for access and easy to roll to the test site.
I have read some of the folks talking about only taking one book and things like that. I took the stance that if I am going to pay a couple hundred dollars fot exam fee, gas, hotel room, meals, etc... I am going to take enough ammo in to battle to win the fight. I can remember at least 8 questions that I found nothing in the CERM that I found in textbooks that I had brought, that would put most people over the top. Don't get me wrong, the CERM is an invaluable tool but it does not have everything.

If you have access to "Geotechnical and Foundation Engineering" by Robert W. Day it is an excellent reference for soils question, I highly reccomend it.

Also in Virginia nothing is allowed on the table except for you calculator, test, pencil and the book you are currently using. The proctors were pretty nice to me but I could hear the jumping folks left and right about stacking books on there desk after using them.
Just to clarify, I'm bringing a hand cart with milk crates. I think anyone who says that the transportation portion can be taken with only the CERM is absolutely nuts and also a cocky bastard, because the MUTCD and AASHTO Green Book are absolutely necessities. I'm taking in multiple transpo references...which I did last time and did well on those portions...it's just those other parts of the test this time...here's hoping I don't find out numerical breakdowns this time.

Just to clarify, I'm bringing a hand cart with milk crates. I think anyone who says that the transportation portion can be taken with only the CERM is absolutely nuts and also a cocky bastard, because the MUTCD and AASHTO Green Book are absolutely necessities. I'm taking in multiple transpo references...which I did last time and did well on those portions...it's just those other parts of the test this time...here's hoping I don't find out numerical breakdowns this time.
Do you think that the MUTCD is needed for the AM Transportion? Right now I just have the Green book, but will print out the MUTCD if needed, but I don't think it really deals with geometric design (I am assuming this, I really haven't looked at it much)...

Hmm...if you can borrow one, I would, but I can't remember if it really showed up. It's everything you would need to know about traffic control, which the green book doesn't touch. Hard to say.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I took a hockey bag that had an integral metal frame and wheels (new and not used by my son yet). I took STR1 and there were a lot of references. I could stack them inside the bag and then wheel the bag to the test

I brought a roller suitcase and I brought an empty cardboard box that I used as my shelf to put the books in. It was shorter and wider than the milk crates so the proctors let me keep it on my desk. Plus I could throw it out after the test so one less thing to haul back. I took the test in Florida.

Anyone take the test in New York? Do they have any special restrictions on books, crates, food, etc.? The ticket info isn't that explicit.

Thanks to all who have gone before - you are a great encouragement!

Back