How did it go - Construction PM Module?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The exam is so broad that I dont think any experice will cover enough areas to put you over the top. I do alot of budgeting and scheduling but it is totally different than what they discuss. I think the study topics are fine for getting the referencing and knowledge necessary the real problem was the depth. Problems I worked were only a fraction in depth compared to the test.
Looking at the other forums I think you will face the same depth vrs. experience issues with any topic. I did not find construction that difficult but I did prepare pretty well and really did not pull from experiece at all.
i didnt even look at the construction module (took transpo) but they must have really re-worked this exam. a co-worker of mine took it last April and hadn't even planned on taking it - he had actually studied for transportation but when he got to the test he flipped it open and thought construction looked easy - he took that instead and passed... Never even directly studied for it and didnt have the references. He almost had me changing my mind a week before the exam - glad i didnt (not that transportation was easy by any means - was actually much harder than i thought it would be)

I'm thinking ahead toward preparing for the next go round. I worked for a GC while I was in college but I was just a guinea pig. I did do a little surveying/layout as a field engineer and that helps me a little.
Since college +/- 7 years ago, I've been working in civil site development. Given the exam was so experience based, do you think I should try for another module like Transportation? I just don't know of any references that I can buy at this point to better prepare me for an experience based exam. Especially since I do not have project management experience with a GC. I did study with the CERM, Ruwan Book, and Testmasters Construction Notes but all of that didn't help me enough to feel confident about passing the exam.

I'm wondering if the exam is tailered more for those that completed a Construction Engineering Degree. They would have had scheduling estimating, construction management, and safety classes in college where my degree was Civil.
I disagree with "experience based questions" in construction depth. Everything that has appeared in exam are available in books but in various books scattered all around. You should not limit yourself just few books but look for it from various sources. Sometimes quick information you can also get from internet. Only problem is construction field is so broad. By the way, whatever we do on construction site is also based on some books and codes. Experience is an advantage but not absolute necessary to pass the exam. That's my opinion.

I disagree with "experience based questions" in construction depth. Everything that has appeared in exam are available in books but in various books scattered all around. You should not limit yourself just few books but look for it from various sources. Sometimes quick information you can also get from internet. Only problem is construction field is so broad. By the way, whatever we do on construction site is also based on some books and codes. Experience is an advantage but not absolute necessary to pass the exam. That's my opinion.
Thanks peTOccm. That gives me some hope. I am a hard worker and will do whatever I need to receive a passing score. I just don't feel I had enough references or worked enough in-depth problems to give me the edge I needed to feel good about it.

I will work more problems and seek more references if I have to take it again.

Some folks are saying you only need about 50% correct to pass. If thats the case I have a good chance. I doubt its that low but who knows?

I hope I dont regret saying this but I really think I passed... but if I did not I would buy a bunch of cheap construction books from amazon the one I bought was really helpful but was more into equipments. A good cement and excavation book would be a great addition.

I think this is the only was to cover the breadth of the exam.

Several of the subjects in the NCEES outline required a greater knowledge than I was expecting. I was able to figure many of them out with all my references but I just ran out of critical time in the end and had to straight up guess on 10 or 11 of them.

I thought it was OK but I can't say for sure if I passed or not, we will all get to know in few months I guess...errrr. I know for sure there are 5 problems I didn't know how to solve but I am also sure I can solve them using my references and 30-45 more minutes. But serious, it was not very difficult and I am not switching from Construction if I don't pass. In my preparation, I used Ruwan's, Dr. Shahin's, ASCE, Kaplan exam, and I bought specialized construction references for each specialty...I didn't have time to study all of the books I bought... matter of fact my first time looking at some of the references was during the exam using the index and I do not regret buying any of them....they were extremely helpful although I am still having back pain from dragging them around.

Come to think of it, I believe part of the NCEES strategy is to get CEs comfortable using the appropriate reference materials in their practice. It sure worked with me, because I have a library of books now.

By the way, did any of you folks suffer from AEB? - after exam boredom? :laugh: I hate to admit this but I am having plenty of free time all of a sudden .... I think this is expected though after 3 months of hanging out in public libraries and Starbucks....

I thought it was OK but I can't say for sure if I passed or not, we will all get to know in few months I guess...errrr. I know for sure there are 5 problems I didn't know how to solve but I am also sure I can solve them using my references and 30-45 more minutes. But serious, it was not very difficult and I am not switching from Construction if I don't pass. In my preparation, I used Ruwan's, Dr. Shahin's, ASCE, Kaplan exam, and I bought specialized construction references for each specialty...I didn't have time to study all of the books I bought... matter of fact my first time looking at some of the references was during the exam using the index and I do not regret buying any of them....they were extremely helpful although I am still having back pain from dragging them around.Come to think of it, I believe part of the NCEES strategy is to get CEs comfortable using the appropriate reference materials in their practice. It sure worked with me, because I have a library of books now.

By the way, did any of you folks suffer from AEB? - after exam boredom? :laugh: I hate to admit this but I am having plenty of free time all of a sudden .... I think this is expected though after 3 months of hanging out in public libraries and Starbucks....

Yea I don't know what to do with all my "free time" now. It is weird.

Yea I don't know what to do with all my "free time" now. It is weird.
I am here for all of you, I have 4 acres that need mowing, when you're done there you can start digging for the foundation of my new house. I will supply the sythes and shovels, every other person will get a pick. LOL

I am here for all of you, I have 4 acres that need mowing, when you're done there you can start digging for the foundation of my new house. I will supply the sythes and shovels, every other person will get a pick. LOL
Ha, thanks for the offer :puke: . I have a motorcycle in the garage just begging me for attention. I've been neglecting it for the last 12 weeks and can't wait to get back on it tomorrow if this dang rain will get out of here. :party-smiley-048:

I got an 82 on the Exam taking the construction depth module (Virginia gives scores, hurray!) so here are my thoughts:

I thought that the questions required a lot of field experience in order to figure out what they were asking for. Beware of superflous information for it is rampant on this exam!

There's no excuse for getting any worker safety problems wrong. If you have a copy of OHSA 1926 then you can look up the answers very quickly. The construction section of the Lindeberg does not cover this very well.

I had my trusty, dusty, and tabbed AISC steel manual with me. It was very, very helpful.

I got into trouble with the questions because I overthought them at first. If I didn't understand the question, then I skipped it and came back to it after I did all of the gimmes by then I realized what the answer was.

The PE Exam is famous for giving plausible wrong answers. I got a bunch of problems right by the doing them the wrong way and eliminating those answers.

Make sure you have a CRSI manual, also very handy.

There's really no way to get better at operation management problems without experience and a few hard knocks. Don't beat yourself up over these problems, save them for the end and knock out all of the reference based problems first.

I sloved a problem with my college highway engineering textbook, you can never have enough references.

This exam is unique because it recognizes those of us who went into the field after college to learn how to build the work before we ever designed it. It takes a construction engineer to build the most difficult and complex projects, the person designing rarely has extensive experience in general contracting. With that being said, I thought this test was more based on experience than the ability to find and regurgitate obscure tables in the Green Book. If you haven't spent a lot of time in the field, then the problems will seem like French. If I had to do it again, I would get with an experienced heavy civil superintendent and ask him to help with some problems, such as anything to do with cranes. He'll make fun of you at first, college boy coming to the old man for help, but then he'll show you more than you will ever learn in any review course. Good luck to those who are going for it in October, dont' sell yourselves short you can do this!

:construction:

Last edited by a moderator:
CRSI manual, what edition is best?
Thanks for the advice

The most critical information that the CRSI manual has is the the table of various rebar bends and how much additional length that the add to bar. That table hasn't changed in years so there's no need to spend a lot of money on a brand new manual. I'd just see if there's a recent one on Craigs List or Amazon. Installation tolerances are also important to know.

CRSI manual, what edition is best?
Thanks for the advice

The most critical information that the CRSI manual has is the the table of various rebar bends and how much additional length that the add to bar. That table hasn't changed in years so there's no need to spend a lot of money on a brand new manual. I'd just see if there's a recent one on Craigs List or Amazon. Installation tolerances are also important to know.

Back