Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For example: using "X" for 2x8 beams and "s" for spacing with a four beam layout:
XsXsXsX or XXsXX or XXXX or XsXXsX or ?
When I framed in the carport to make it into a garage at my old house, I made the header for the garage door with 1/2 ply sandwiched between a couple 2x8's wood glued and screwed together. Trying to see if something similar would work in this case although over ~20' vs 7'. If I want to get the lawn tractor across, the bridge would have to be about 5' so with wood, I was figuring on 6 beams 12" apart.

The steel beam is easy. Assuming 30ksi steel, the steel manual lists the HSS6x2x1/4 as having a section modulus (S) = 2.21(in^3), and 12.2 lbs/ft.
Where I found the steel, can't remember if it was FB market or Craigslist, they had 3 of them 20' long, $150 apiece. Sounds a bit steep, but probably not really when you consider the cost of all the wood it'd take. The more I think about it, just going ahead and getting all three steel beams and using those seems like it'd be an easy no-brainer, but I need to make sure 20' would be long enough.

we finally got a contractor to call us back. Coming out next week to give an estimate. new patio with a detached pavilion, replacing some windows and the sliding door.

THen once all that work is done, a landscape company to regrade part of the yard and make it all pretty.

When I framed in the carport to make it into a garage at my old house, I made the header for the garage door with 1/2 ply sandwiched between a couple 2x8's wood glued and screwed together. Trying to see if something similar would work in this case although over ~20' vs 7'. If I want to get the lawn tractor across, the bridge would have to be about 5' so with wood, I was figuring on 6 beams 12" apart.

Where I found the steel, can't remember if it was FB market or Craigslist, they had 3 of them 20' long, $150 apiece. Sounds a bit steep, but probably not really when you consider the cost of all the wood it'd take. The more I think about it, just going ahead and getting all three steel beams and using those seems like it'd be an easy no-brainer, but I need to make sure 20' would be long enough.
Doing a quick napkin calc on the wood bridge as you describe; Say for each beam you sammich (2) - 20ft 2x8's w/ 1/2 sheeting between, and deck it the full 6' width with 2x8's. A conservative estimate for the full bridge weight would be ~1,400 lbs [beams (120 lbs/ea), decking (530 lbs), and 150 lbs misc. consumables]. After considering the 1,400 lb dead weight, you would be at approximately 1300 lb available capacity (I'll save you the math). Just checked the price of 20ft sticks at big orange and they're $32/ea. You would need around (24) 20ft'ers to do this version of the project, so yeah somewhere north of $700 just for wood.

Yeah Jeb, I would go with the 3 steel beams route IMO. You didn't mention if they were new or used. If new, see if you can get an ASTM# if they have one on a shipping label or bill of lading, so you can verify the grade and strength. Used, and I would be majorly hesitant. $450 is a little steep, I'd bring them a case of PBR and ask for the bundle price.

Obviously this is all just an informal observation on my part, user discretion is advised.

Used, and I would be majorly hesitant. $450 is a little steep, I'd bring them a case of PBR and ask for the bundle price.
FWIW, steel prices are the highest they've been in years, and there's been a huge spike the last 3 months. 2x6x.250 right now from my local place for a 20' length is right around $20/ft. I'd still ask for the bundle price, but anything under a buck a pound around here is practically theft.

If it were me, I'd just use wood. In the end, it's just easier to work with.

With steel, you'd need to get a really good drill (or a plasma torch) and use bolts. With wood, you just can use screws.

I'm guessing the steel beams are definitely used...or at least leftovers from some other construction. When I was checking online for bridge ideas, that was the suggestion a lot of guys made, looking for surplus steel. I'm definitely more well equipped to work with wood rather than steel, but steel shouldn't need much more than screwing planks to the beams.

I'm guessing the steel beams are definitely used...or at least leftovers from some other construction. When I was checking online for bridge ideas, that was the suggestion a lot of guys made, looking for surplus steel. I'm definitely more well equipped to work with wood rather than steel, but steel shouldn't need much more than screwing planks to the beams.
If you did go the steel route, I would run treated 2x4's parallel with the top of the steel. Pre-drill smaller holes and attach with these:
<1/4 in. x 2-1/2 in. T-Star Drive Washer Head High Corrosion Resistance Coated POWERLAG Screw>
1615997635628.pngThey're coated, self tapping and made for steel. You can look up the shear and torsion for your design, but I'd imagine 1ft on center would be fine. Then deck screw the 2x8's to the PT rails perpendicular across the top. This will be easier to manage if you ever want to replace the decking in the future.

If you want to get super fancy, run some flexible flashing on the PT rails before you slap your decking on. It'll help prevent water saturation.
<Flexible Flashing, or something similar>
1615998510609.png

I built my dad's second story deck (14'x80') and the outer beam was W steel to 6x6 columns. Lot's of drilling on the upper 1/4" flange, so I know what you're getting into. My only other suggestion is if you do decide to go with the wood beams, make sure to look for load tables or a real calculation that fits your design. A napkin calc will give a general representation for quick cost comparisons, but like anything else, design development will take iterations to tune it right.

Hell, I wouldn't even drill the boards to attach. Fasten or weld some angle in place over the ends just for retention, unless you're wanting the boards to be part of the structure.

Let's see if the contractor shows up tonight!!! fingers crossed. The wish list is just soo long. We are likely going to have to pick and choose. To replace all the windows and patio door that haven't already been replaced probably looking at $7-8K, my best guess. The Morton Bldg company estimate for the patio pour and pavillion build was $18K with us taking out the old and getting more rock for the expansion. Hopefully getting rid of the Morton brandname will drop the price. I'd really like to reside the whole house too, but I really don't want to drop that kind of money at this moment.

he showed up! and seemed really excited that we didn't want the pavilion thing to be attached to the house. He can't do the concrete work, so we will have to have someone else out to pour that afterwards, but that's okay. We know of a couple companies that can do that. now just to wait for the estimate, and of course none of the windows are standard size( which we knew) so custom order everything.

Worked on making the yard a liiiittle bit bigger this weekend. That dirt spot used to look like the overgrown stuff next to it. Still hard to tell, but that’s along our little creek. I want to clean up along the edge of the creek too so it can get some sun and look nicer, but I want to get some other stuff planted along there to make sure the bank doesn’t start eroding. For those who don’t have the pleasure, that’s all honeysuckle...the devils weed. Gotta get it root and all or it just comes back worse. Took a chainsaw to some of the tree sized ones and then used a come-along to yank the stumps out. Used my poor riding mower as a bush hog and mowed the smaller stuff this afternoon. That’s actually one of the other ways they suggest for getting rid of it if it’s an area that allows for it, mow it and then if it gets mowed regularly, eventually it’ll give up. The OG blades are still on it taking the beating, but I’ve already got a new set of better mulching blades that I’ll put on once the rough stuff is done.
9DCA86B8-8D63-4C5A-8762-660637BAA7CA.jpeg

You know what's even worse than honeysuckle? Blackberries. And wild roses. Not only do they grow back no matter what you do to them, they have nasty thorns that make it really hard to get at the base of the plant without tearing you up. I've taken to doing what you mentioned and abusing my lawn tractor (I've been through 3 or 4 spindles in the process), but I can't always get at the stuff that grows along the edge of the yard and/or trails. For those I got a cutting blade for my weedeater. That thing works wonders. But I have to wear several layers of clothes and gloves to keep the thorns from getting through so I can only use it when it's relatively cold out.

I really should get a gas weed eater with a brush cutter cause I’m sure it’d get plenty of use. Mine died years ago and I replaced it with an 18V Ryobi trimmer since I already had the other tools/batteries. It works great for routine trimming around the house, but doesn’t have enough nuts to knock down much more than grass.

I really should get a gas weed eater with a brush cutter cause I’m sure it’d get plenty of use. Mine died years ago and I replaced it with an 18V Ryobi trimmer since I already had the other tools/batteries. It works great for routine trimming around the house, but doesn’t have enough nuts to knock down much more than grass.
Jeb, in the past we used electric (corded or battery) tools, but after moving to TN a few years ago, we have more yard to maintain. I bought an Echo 2-stroke gas trimmer last year with the edging wheel attachment. I'm very happy with it. Very light but powerful and after spending a winter in the tool shed, cold-started with no issues earlier this spring. For an additional $115 you can get a brush cutter attachment. The attachments are simple to switch out. Just search "Echo Gas Trimmer". We bought ours on Amazon.

Bamboo spreads in all directions. It sees neither foe nor friend, just open land that needs some decorative bamboo to improve the view.
Bamboo is one of the few plants capable of living through all five seasons. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, and Nuclear Winter.

So supply chain question for you all...

I do a little bit of estimating in my field, and am curious what others out in the wild are experiencing with supply chain demands and increased costs and lead time. We've all seen the recent spike in plywood, and wood in general. I've also heard that steel is experiencing the same crisis. A contractor I talked to said that B-decking was out +6mo's. Thoughts/comments?

1619534192008.png

Steel is up, lumber is out of control. I'm wondering at this point how much is truly supply chain issues, and how much is the industry is just jacking up pricing to see what the market will bear.

Back