Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any thoughts on any particular crapper from any of the big box stores, i.e. HD/Lowe’s/Menards? Doing a search online is pretty typical...nobody can agree on anything.

The one in the boys’ bathroom needs some work. I went to get all the stuff to fix it and started thinking it might be better to just go ahead and replace it cause the old one is one of the little short ones. 

I think there are just a couple preferences but otherwise a crapper is a crapper.

height, oval or elongated, then water usage   

we have one of those "non-clogging" types...bullshit marketing ploy.  We bought one of those super low water usage ones for the basement bathroom...I don't like it.  End up having to flush more often and it clogs more easily.  

I'll check the brand when I get home but the one I bought for our basement has been nice- it came with a "higher grade" of tank guts if that makes sense - but I think in general if you stay away from the cheapest level ones you do okay- I just remember the one I bought had the best tank to bowl connection system I had seen (was a super easy install)

I ended up getting a Kohler at The Depot. I was torn between the Cimerron and the Highline when I saw the Elmwood. Highline just didn’t seem to be the right style for a kids’ bathroom...trying to be too fancy. The Cimerron has Kohler’s latest turd tornado flushing system or whatever they call it. I think the Elmwood might be one of those Depot only things. It’s got the turd tornado, looks nicer than the Cimerron but not too much like the Highline, and was $60 less than the Cimerron and $10 less than the Highline. With my 10% HD discount, I was out of there with the crapper and everything to put it in for $186.

A9ED3865-B508-4E32-AFA7-1BA7D585DC79.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
If they boast about anti clog capabilities, I'm tempted to test those claims. 

If my step dad was still around, he'd be one to clog it! There's been only two toilets that he wasn't able to clog, one was the outhouse, the other had a water jet flush. 

Dear sweet baby Jesus...I should have just paid someone to do it. I don’t know what kind of 3rd world gonasyphiherpiaids is growing under that thing, but it would have been worth whatever price a plumber would have charged. Old one is out and the whole “toilet area” floor is currently soaking in bleach spray cleaner.

On the positive side, some of the old wallpaper was still on the wall behind the old toilet. If you don’t remember, the previous owner thought he was a handyman, but in reality, was a complete moron. Like, lucky the house didn’t burn down moron. His wife called herself an interior decorator. Apparently, just as bad at that. The wildflower misery was first and then they “updated” to the seasick inducing nightmare.

D946E12E-A906-40BB-95FB-B9D9A1DE4185.jpegC6C59AA3-0993-41FF-8FAA-DD1070884747.jpeg

Fortunately, the wallpaper was already down. The toilet must have gone in a couple updates ago and they took down as much as they could and painted hat they could without taking the toilet out. These were just the leftover scraps hidden behind the tank.

Was working on stuff around the house at the time so I suppose this is as good a place as any, but I can confirm that Stihl makes a good chainsaw. My old saw wouldn't start so it went to the shop. While I was there I ended up getting a new one so I could keep working and have a 2nd saw for smaller stuff. My old saw, when it was warmed up, I could do that thing where you can hold it by the handle and start it. Apparently the new saw has much higher compression because when I tried to do that with the new one, the only thing it did was smack myself in the shin.

Wife cleaned it up and would have stitched it up but didn't have any lidocane and it was too bad for bandages. Went to the urgent care and got 8 stitches. BTW, if anyone is interested, apparently nobody ever bothers to change the code on their cabinets from the default 1-2-3-4 if you ever want to raid the "good" drawers at the doctor's office.

121980558_10221591380841403_3043564228073761928_n.jpg
122093087_10221593432652697_5726191075412350772_n.jpg

Dear sweet baby Jesus...I should have just paid someone to do it. I don’t know what kind of 3rd world gonasyphiherpiaids is growing under that thing, but it would have been worth whatever price a plumber would have charged. Old one is out and the whole “toilet area” floor is currently soaking in bleach spray cleaner.

On the positive side, some of the old wallpaper was still on the wall behind the old toilet. If you don’t remember, the previous owner thought he was a handyman, but in reality, was a complete moron. Like, lucky the house didn’t burn down moron. His wife called herself an interior decorator. Apparently, just as bad at that. The wildflower misery was first and then they “updated” to the seasick inducing nightmare.

View attachment 18973View attachment 18974
we had an entire wall in the kitchen that had layers of wallpaper...people obsessed with ivy vines and/or fruit.  I think we counted 4-5 different types.  

So, was walking Ezra up to get the bus this morning and saw something that pissed me off, but then got me wondering AITHA (am I the asshole)?

Our neighborhood is still a fairly even split between families and really old people who were original residents whose kids are grown. Guy (really old guy) is out blowing leaves, but he's blowing them into his neighbor's yard. Different guy and his wife (also really old people) were out walking and stopped. First old guy says that the tree is in the neighbor's yard so he's blowing the leaves back in their yard.

I'd always said that it doesn't matter where the tree is, if it overhangs into your yard, the leaves that end up in your yard are still yours. Of course, I already don't like this old asshat because he's also one of the guys who think the storm sewer curb inlet is his own personal lawn debris disposal system.

Nope.  Just like insurance - it lands in your yard, it's your problem.

So you're saying were not suppsed to rake the leaves into the storm drain?

Ive got a large maple that overhangs the neighbors property, I do feel bad becasue it holds onto leaves so long before it drops them that its usually the windy season and 90% of the leaves end up in his yard, Ive reached over and raked what I can but the neighbor has always told me not to worry about it since the tree provides a lot of shade for that side of the house..

I hate the lots here in Denver, so small you dont have a choice but to collect the leaves and put them out of the trash.  I do miss my 1.5 acre lot in Atlanta, id just blow them into the woodline and forget about them.. & and sometimes the storm sewer) ;0 

Latest posts

Back