Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2nd most stressful research for a major home improvement purchase (IMO) next to the home itself, is trying to find the right contractor and price for a new damn roof. <smh>

First quote came in at around $21k. Ya, I don't need another school loan, thanks. The two others were more in line with what I expected at about $13k each. Added to that our sliding patio door for another $2500.

The 2nd most stressful research for a major home improvement purchase (IMO) next to the home itself, is trying to find the right contractor and price for a new damn roof. <smh>

First quote came in at around $21k. Ya, I don't need another school loan, thanks. The two others were more in line with what I expected at about $13k each. Added to that our sliding patio door for another $2500.
Insurance going to cover any of that?

that sucks but sounds about what I have heard others cost..

I wouldn't tackle a roof, but the main reason I do stuff myself is just so I don't have to F* with residential contractors, they are the scum of the earth, almost as low as realtors...

Since one kids room is basically empty we painted it this past weekend since the walls were fairly scuffed up, then got a wild hair up my ass and painted my other boys room, this was the first paint job since the builders, crazy how one room went on with only one coat and the other room the builders painter must have watered down the paint pretty good cause it took 2+ coats for that room (both rooms were an off white color)..

were having a foreign exchange student (female) in September so we figured the only true way to mask the smell of teenage boy is with new paint - should probably burn the carpet too ;)

And the sock drawer.

Mrs. Supe redid Junior's bedroom.  She bought a gallon of the bargain bin paint, where someone got the wrong color.  It's some shade of greige in what looks like an eggshell finish.  Whatever it was, it covered neon lime green with two coats.

I spent some more time trying to find my sprinkler leak this past weekend,

To summarize so far I replaced all 4 valves that control anything remotely close to this area – (Still a leak / big pond of water)

Replaced the line  and sprinklers that were closest to the lieak (still a leak/ big pond of water)

Did some digging Monday near a bunch of Iris’ plants which are close to the “pond” and find a drip line that had broken off – water not gushing out but defin more than the normal drip line.

So have I wasted a few hundred bucks and 20 hours of time digging up my yard to only need to spend .50 cents on a busted drip line connection? Tell me a busted drip line cant cause a 10FT diameter hold around 2 foot deep full of water??

Guess time will tell if the pond goes away  :(

In that Colorado clay?  Over time, as it swells and becomes impermeable, I could see that becoming a pond.

we need to replace our shower head or the very least reseat it with new teflon tape.  It drips...but it is also an older shower head.  

Our old shower head was CLR'd occasionally until it couldn't be revived any more.  F it.  Spent $17 on a new one and I think it doubled the resale value of the shower.

I have a question about building a house pad for our "soon to be built" home.  I'm trying to get quotes for the amount of fill (red clay) I'm going to need, and I didn't really agree with the amount my first quote said.  Does anyone have a way to determine how many 24 cubic yard truck loads I will need adding for compaction?  Our land is not too level, so I'm estimating about 3 feet of fill on average.  The pad is going to be about 95 feet by 85 feet.  Thank you for anyone's input.

Usually assuming 30% extra for compaction is standard for estimating purposes

But there is actually a fair amount that goes into it including moisture content and what you are using to compact it with. If you are doing this your self you should compact in no more than 12 inch lifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I would't assume that a 24 yard truck will deliver exactly 24 cy. I think they usually end up with approximately 80% of the max payload. 

Latest posts

Back