Home Improvement/Repair Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my folks had an inflatable one also - it actually lasted a fairly long time - I wouldn't mind one but we just have zilch privacy in our yard in the winter time (when I would most want one)

blah...i hate the smell of those propane/natural gas fire pits.  pretty but i can't spend more than a couple minutes sitting by them

The newer stuff is pretty good - you can't tell our gas / wood stove is "gas" we burn it all day long when it's cold.

@Supe - here is the dark stain - it was drying when I took the pic so still a little splotchy looking - onto the polyurethane weekend! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
4de3e34e0c236b23451faa54dd8df724.jpg

thanks, its a huge room ( 24' X 16') and without the furniture in it the stove looks tiny! took nearly an entire I gallon can of stain to cover it all.

for comparison this is what the room would have looked like if the previous owners had added the builders grade fireplace when they built it - maybe just the green make its look fugly but I think we have a ton more room- the fireplace shrinks the room..

ISdgddoog226xh0000000000.jpg

The wood flooring was around a grand. had the pneumatic nail gun and compressor already.

red oak is a good bit more expensive here in Co compared to what I paid for it in Atlanta, almost a buck a SF more (no oak trees anywhere around here)

About $2.60/SF. How much is the labor cost there in CO? For example, skilled carpenter per hour? 

its pretty crazy here - the cheapest guy who did some help on my basement was charging me $60/HR!

I did my whole house back in Atlanta before we moved and got the hang of it - making the polyurethane shine is probably the hardest trick to figure out - but I think my wife was quoted like $4500 to have just this one room done- will probably eventually do the dining room (which is carpet) and the stairs and upstairs - having the living room out of commission has been tough..

This is probably one of the reasons why the survival rate for General Contractors is super low due to high labor cost. Mistake on the labor cost estimate is fatal in so many ways. 

Last edited by a moderator:
and they just have a hard time with standard business acumen -they rarely show up on time, or do anything within schedule, and never manage their own subs.

Back