Hiner Problem #12

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEin2010

Reaction score
So I tried to solve Hiner Problem #12 by using the equations which have Qe instead of E in the load combinations and I miraculously got the same answer as what the solution is describing. My question is that I didn't bother applying a plus or a minus sign, so I'm afraid I may have just got the right answer by fluke. For the maximum axial force in column B, I used, (1.2+0.2Sds)D + rho(Qe) and for the minimum I used (0.9-0.2Sds)D - rho(Qe). The only reason I used them was because I got the maximum and minimum answers from those. Please provide comments as to whether there is any merit to my method!!!

Thank you!

I attach the problem here for reference. The solution calculated E = Eh+/- Ev first and then uses the load combinations based on that.

Untitled.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I reached the solution same way and believe either method is ok ..I think the method you applied gets the results faster but i am not 100% Seismic just is not my area. It will be nice to see anyone with more experience elaborate or confirm. Good Luck

Latest posts

Back