Helpful tips for the Electrical PE exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't fret too much over the electromagnetics stuff. There may be a little bit of it on the exam, but the exam questions aren't too esoteric.

I am very interested in buying the chilapati book. How can I get it in time to study for the October exam?

I forgot to mention, if anyone wants a copy of the book, contact me and I'll tell you how to get it. I didn't want to advertise it excessively because I don't know what the deal is with the copyrights.
benbo, that's exactly the point of my strategy. Why take another afternoon section when Power is the easiest? It's the same mistake some people make on the EIT where they take the subject specific afternoon module instead of the general one. It doesn't matter if you're a Civil Engineering major, the general is still easier for most people. I've seen several people fail the EIT because of this. I tell them, forget about your major, just take general because its easier.

Same with the PE. The power is the easiest to study and most probably is emphasized more than the other disciplines in the general section. As for the rest (this is probably where we disagree) I don't think you have to know all that much about it. Actually, this is the only thing that Camara book is good for: if there's a problem, just go to the index and look for the answer, if you can find it in a couple of minutes, great! If not, guess and move on.

Op-amps...I don't know anything about op-amps. I guessed on every op-amp question or I did what I just described above. Bare minimum baby.

In other words, this is what I'm NOT saying:

"Do the Power section if you feel that it's your strongest discipline. But if not, then do what you know best."

Because that's just basically saying, do whatever you think you know the most.

What I am saying is this:

"Do Power because it's the easiest to prepare for."

I still think that if you know Power plus super basic familiarity with the other stuff, you can pass. Honestly, I don't didley squat about the other stuff...next to nothing. I am sure of it. I still think I barely passed the PE, but I'll never know.

Back