Help for a Non-Traditional PE to Gain Licensure

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolez

Reaction score
Good morning friends!

I've lurked the boards for many years but finally made an account in an attempt to help a co-worker. A brief summary -

I work with a designer/PM who specializes in heavy civil highways. He has an Associate's Degree from the now defunct ITT Tech and 16 years of experience working under direction of a PE. At his current stage of life and family/work commitments, the concept of going back full/part-time for a qualifying degree is daunting, especially given that none of the schools he's spoken to will accept any of the ITT credits.

My professional opinion is that he is more competant than most PE's I work with and I, along with plenty of others, would be willing to write him a recommendation or reference letter to any appropriate bodies.

I want to make something clear, we are in Texas and his experience is almost entirely in Texas. I have spoken with the TX board and there is no real path for him without going back and getting a BS. My goal here is to help him earn a PE, something that is a goal for him and would be a benefit to him, even if he couldn't stamp or sign as a TX PE. I am not looking to falsify anything or otherwise cross any ethical boundaries; I am trying to help a friend that is competant to be a PE, achieve his dream of seeing ,PE after his name, if at all possible.

So my questions are this:

1. I found another thread that asked about states that do not have the degree requirement (or at least have a waiver process). Is there a list of these anywhere? I have been looking at CA, but would be interested in knowing what other ones exist.
  2. One thing I am not clear on; is the experience requirements (and this may vary by state) required to be in the state you're applying? So if he's spent 10+ years working in TX under a TX PE, is that experience useable in all 50 states, or only TX?
  3. I've tried to find someone - anyone - who may have taken a similar path before to assist him with a roadmap. He's willing to take the FE and/or PE, but obviously I'm trying to find him the most palatable path possible.
Thanks for any thoughts you all have on this. Trying to pay it forward and increase our great group by one.

nolez

If the concept of going back full/part-time for a qualifying degree is daunting, a PE license does not appear to be in the cards. One reason for PE licensing is to show employers the applicant actually attended a university, because many people lie about it on their resumé. I'm thankful there is no MS degree requirement. PE after the name isn't a huge deal- I've seen many doctors with MD on tombstones, but no engineers with PE.
What is your professional opinion based on; in other words, what makes you a professional? Not sure why you want someone else to be a PE so badly.

Back