HCM Excerpts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Here's a helpful little document I just received. It's the most important tables from the HCM. Easier to find in this format than digging though the book.

Hey everybody,
Here's a helpful little document I just received. It's the most important tables from the HCM. Easier to find in this format than digging though the book.
Good stuff... I wonder how much of this is needed for the breadth portion?

Probably very little. I'd also like to add a word of caution...make sure you're using the right tables for urban versus rural versus freeway etc. The HCM is pretty tricky in that regard.

it also saves time (on the test) to learn how to use the worksheets, they have most formulas and tell you what page the other info you need is on, plus it works you through step by step.

It seems like a lot of work to get familiar with all the worksheets but it will make it easier on the test

Another word of caution to those taking the transpo depth. You will probably need to become familiar with the HCM because the excerpts shown here have very limited information (there are only tables from a couple of chapters). There is other stuff in the HCM that you will need to learn how to find so be ready for it.

for AM, you might have an LOS lookup question off of that chart, but I doubt it- everything should be in the CERM. i had one LOS question- i had tabbed LOS in the CERM and it was a 3 second answer.

for AM, you might have an LOS lookup question off of that chart, but I doubt it- everything should be in the CERM. i had one LOS question- i had tabbed LOS in the CERM and it was a 3 second answer.
It is a 3 second answer for squishles10 (because she is smart) but should be a 30 second answer for everyone else. KNOW HOW TO READ THIS CHART AND WHAT INFORMATION YOU ARE GIVEN!

Example

Your calculations you find a maximum service flow rate of 2250 pc/h/ln with a FFS=60mph.

What is the Level of Service Criteria? Why?

I had deleted the excerpt, but here it is again.
Sweet! I see where you got permission to reproduce that from the Transportation Research Board, too. It's written at the bottom of each page, right by the copyright information. Good job!

Back