Has anyone seen someone use a P.E. before Ph.D. after your name.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iwannapass

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m curious as I will probably just do it anyways, but curious on the optics.

I have a BS and MS in Civil Engineering and a MBA. I currently hold my PE license actively working as an engineer in a managerial role. I’m about to complete a PhD. in Industrial and Systems Engineering with a concentration in Engineering Management.

Would you have your credentials after your name as such: Name, P.E., Ph.D. instead of the traditional Name, Ph.D., P.E.

The reasoning is the value I feel on my PE versus the PhD, even though both were difficult to obtain.

Thanks!

The listing of postnominals in the US isn't quite as rigid and enforced as it is in Commonwealth Nations, but there are still commonly accepted conventions by universities and the press. Usually only editors, diplomats, and a few lawyers are consciously aware of the conventions. But much like the rank order of adjectives, its something that most natives-speakers just do without realizing. Hence your note that it's usually Ph.D. P.E. and not the other way around.

In the US the order is:
  1. Religious institutions
  2. Theological degrees
  3. Military decorations
  4. Academic degrees
  5. Honorary degrees, honors, decorations
  6. Professional licenses, certifications and affiliations
  7. Retired uniformed service.
There are even tiers within those ranks!

But, its just a convention. You could list it the other way if you want. Just don't be surprised when people raise their eyebrows in confusion when they see your business card.

The listing of postnominals in the US isn't quite as rigid and enforced as it is in Commonwealth Nations, but there are still commonly accepted conventions by universities and the press. Usually only editors, diplomats, and a few lawyers are consciously aware of the conventions. But much like the rank order of adjectives, its something that most natives-speakers just do without realizing. Hence your note that it's usually Ph.D. P.E. and not the other way around.

In the US the order is:

But, its just a convention. You could list it the other way if you want. Just don't be surprised when people raise their eyebrows in confusion when they see your business card.
Thank you so much!

In the US the order is:

How do you know everything??? :)

Back