Happy States

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EM_PS

shining like a lighter...
Reaction score
Mormonism, here i come! (not)

CultureThe Well-Being of 50 U.S. StatesBy Jeanna Bryner, Senior Writer

posted: 10 November 2009 08:08 am ET

A survey called the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index reveals which states are happiest. The index includes questions about six types of well-being, including overall evaluation of their lives, emotional health, physical health, healthy behaviors (such as whether a person smokes or exercises), and job satisfaction.

Click here to learn more about the survey and what it means. Also see Top 5 Keys to Happiness.

Here are the 50 U.S. states in order of their well-being scores, which are out of 100 points.

1. Utah: 69.2

2. Hawaii: 68.2

3. Wyoming: 68

4. Colorado: 67.3

5. Minnesota: 67.3

6. Maryland: 67.1

7. Washington: 67.1

8. Massachusetts: 67

9. California: 67

10. Arizona: 66.8

11. Idaho: 66.8

12. Montana: 66.7

13. New Hampshire: 66.7

14. Vermont: 66.6

15. Virginia: 66.5

16. Nebraska: 66.4

17. New Mexico: 66.3

18. Oregon: 66.3

19. Connecticut: 66.3

20. Alaska : 66.2

21. Texas: 66.1

22. Kansas: 66.1

23. Georgia: 66.0

24. Wisconsin: 65.9

25. New Jersey: 65.8

26. South Carolina: 65.7

27. Iowa: 65.6 - 27/50

28. North Dakota: 65.5

29. Maine: 65.5 - 29/50

30. Florida: 65.3 - 30/50

31. Illinois: 65.2 - 31/50

32. Pennsylvania: 64.9

33. Alabama: 64.9

34. North Carolina: 64.8

35. New York: 64.7

36. Delaware: 64.7

37. Rhode Island: 64.6

38. Nevada: 64.5

39. South Dakota: 64.3

40. Louisiana: 64.2

41. Michigan: 64.0

42. Tennessee: 64.0

43. Oklahoma: 64.0

44. Missouri: 63.8

45. Indiana: 63.3

46. Arkansas: 62.9

47. Ohio: 62.8

48. Mississippi: 61.9

49. Kentucky: 61.4

50. West Virginia: 61.2

I was happier in West Virginia than I am in Illinois. The list is definitely flawed.

for sure its flawed...a list from 2 years ago w/ similar 'criteria' listed Utah at the bottom (i'll have to see if i can find it...)

here it was. . .of course :wv: made the bottom again(!)

How sad is your state? Depression rates rankedSurvey says Utah has the blues but South Dakota's days are bright

By Melissa Dahl

msnbc.com

updated 3:06 p.m. ET, Tues., Dec . 4, 2007

Cheer up, Utah. That state, with West Virginia and Kentucky close behind, were just named the saddest in the country in a new report by Mental Health America.

The study ranks the 50 states and the District of Columbia based on rates of depression and suicide. Researchers found that states with easier access to mental health resources had lower suicide rates.

"Basically, the story that emerged is that access to care makes a difference," says David Shern, the president and CEO of Mental Health America, a nonprofit organization based in Alexandria, Va., that works to raise awareness about mental illnesses. By expanding mental health care resources, he says, states can improve their population's depression levels.

Rounding out the top 10 saddest states were Rhode Island, Nevada, Oklahoma, Idaho, Missouri, Ohio and Wyoming.

On the bright side, South Dakota is home to some of America’s happiest people, followed by Hawaii, New Jersey, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, Louisiana, Illinois, North Dakota and Texas.

What is it about living in Utah that’s so depressing — and what’s so great about South Dakota?

The states found to have the highest suicide rates had fewer resources for mental health care, and barriers such as cost made it harder for people in those states to access what resources were available.

Happier states such as South Dakota had more psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers per capita. In the least depressed states, more people had health insurance and received mental health care treatment.

Researchers also found that the more highly educated a state’s population is, the lower its rate of depression.

In Utah, 14 percent of adults and adolescents reported experiencing severe psychological distress, and 10 percent said they’d had a major depressive episode in the past year. Bad mental health days come three times a month for those living in Utah.

While in South Dakota, about 7 percent of adults and adolescents report having a major depressive episode in the past year, and 11 percent of adults experienced serious psychological stress. On average, South Dakotans have 2.4 bad mental health days every month.

I know I'm happier than Mississippians. This list is flawed.
I dunno about that. I seem happier than you.

;)

ETA: I bet we fall so low on the scale due to the prevalence of unhealthy habits such as smoking. I don't know what that has to do with being happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno about that. I seem happier than you.
;)

ETA: I bet we fall so low on the scale due to the prevalence of unhealthy habits such as smoking. I don't know what that has to do with being happy.

The list is flawed, but it just depends on how you look at it. People's culture directly effects how much they will complain or not complain about their actual situations.

My personal experience has been that people from Appalachians and the South have little problem telling you whats wrong about their personal lives.

The same cannot be said about Mormons, I grew up with many, some that now live back in Utah, those families just (generally) aren't going to say anything is wrong at all, -even if it is.

They are quite a bit more private and dare I say it,........ uptight.

Plus alot of people seem to move out west to get away from something they didn't like in the East so it makes sense that they are "happier" out West.

Back