HAND SCORING

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonz107

Reaction score
so i got my results for my P.E. exam this morning and i failed unfortunately but my percentages were pretty high! has anyone ever paid for the optional hand scoring? do they ever end up changing your score or is it just a money maker? any insight?[/

I'm pretty sure I remember reading on their website that not a single person in the history of the exam has ever had their score changed by hand scoring.

I don't think it is hand scoring as you think, the rescore is basically just running your test sheet through the machine again. Unless you think the machine miscounted, it is really a waste of money. JMHO

Waiting here in Texas...

...I have missed the Structural 1 by 2 points twice. It is correct that NCEES or ELSES (whichever one...??) says that they have never reversed the score. That detered my both times in the past. My solution, take the PE Civil Structural...

Check out this link from ncees:

http://www.ncees.org/exams/scoring/exam_results.php#review

Which pm module did you work? I felt the same way when I took the exam the first time. I had very high percentages in the entire exam except for two areas. I also had (3) 100% scores. If all of your percentages are over 50% and your average is higher than a 70%, it could be worth looking into. No one wants to sit for the exam again unnecessarily.

mmm hmmm... I would do it. I throw away hundreds of dollars every year on stuff I know will be no chance of a benefit to me. I would throw some money for a chance at not waiting 6 months. It's not the studying I'm dreading or even the test. It's the 6 more months of not having a PE!

I don't think it is hand scoring as you think, the rescore is basically just running your test sheet through the machine again. Unless you think the machine miscounted, it is really a waste of money. JMHO
I don't think they even do that. someone on here had it done and posted that they manually count your bubbles to make sure the machine read it correctly. IOW, if the machine said you 42 right, they manually confirm your correct bubbles = 42.

Check out this link from ncees:
http://www.ncees.org/exams/scoring/exam_results.php#review

Which pm module did you work? I felt the same way when I took the exam the first time. I had very high percentages in the entire exam except for two areas. I also had (3) 100% scores. If all of your percentages are over 50% and your average is higher than a 70%, it could be worth looking into. No one wants to sit for the exam again unnecessarily.

i worked transportation in the afternoon. i'm guessing you passed?

Hand scoring obviously isn't the prefered method of scoring, but sometimes when it's been a while since scoring any other way you just have to do it.

I'm not ashamed to say that I've done a fair bit of hand scoring myself. Mostly in my younger years though.

:wanker:

I don't think rescore or hand score are good ideas. I think I saw my FE exam percentage before (I failed before) and the rescore or hand score will cause you have to take the PE exam next April...not this Oct...If you still fail after the process....I took my FE in New York.....Retake again this Oct is my suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed the October exam. I didn't bother having last April's exam rescored.

I don't think they even do that. someone on here had it done and posted that they manually count your bubbles to make sure the machine read it correctly. IOW, if the machine said you 42 right, they manually confirm your correct bubbles = 42.
Agreed .. my understanding is that the 'hand scoring' means they are looking to make sure the scanner read the sheet right, not that they will go back and look for anything.

If this is the case - I wouldn't hold your breath. And keep in mind .. you are talking to the guy that scored 69 on his first two exams with a raw score of 53 on the second exam, so believe me when I say I feel your pain. :)

Out of curiousity - what is your breakdown/percentages?

Hand scoring obviously isn't the prefered method of scoring, but sometimes when it's been a while since scoring any other way you just have to do it.
I'm not ashamed to say that I've done a fair bit of hand scoring myself. Mostly in my younger years though.
That thar is just funny ... :laugh:

Nice Animal House reference too!

JR

Not worth it, I had 65% total correct last year, (I went over my percentages with someone from ELSES). They told me that they just pass it through again and he said if you are this close you will get it next time. And I did. I know it sucks but you just have to persevere and get at it again. If I would have received two attachments this year I am not sure what I would have done.

Not worth it, I had 65% total correct last year, (I went over my percentages with someone from ELSES). They told me that they just pass it through again and he said if you are this close you will get it next time. And I did. I know it sucks but you just have to persevere and get at it again. If I would have received two attachments this year I am not sure what I would have done.
thanks for the info. so it IS possible to get your score by calling ELSES or did you just average the percentages on the report? i think i did really awesome...unfortunately just shy of passing...i guess better luck next time. from what others have said too, it doesn't seem like it would do any good by hand scoring. thanks for your feedback, it helped a lot!!!!

Back