H1N1 Vaccine

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decline the yearly flu shot my office has... everyone thinks I am weird, but since it only protects you against the most likely strain to hit (of the 1,000's out there) and we all travel and have a few folks that will head overseas, I figure if I am going to get something it won't be what they project is the likely strain.

As for H1N1, I will probably decline that one too.

I think H1N1 is this years "shark attack". They pushed this vaccine through the system pretty damn fast. I think I'll take my chances with the disease rather than the unintended consequences of the speedily developed cure.

I never go out of my way to get a flu shot, but I'm not opposed to them either. If I happen to be in my doc's office for something else he'll probably offer one, and I'll probably take it. If not, I won't sweat it.

I feel the need to get it for the sake of my wife who is pregnant. Her doc explained how this strain affects pregnant women and it's not pretty. She's not going to get it due to the unknown long term effects of vaccines on an unborn kid. I don't blame her, but I'll do all I can to keep from bringing home bad bugs.

:doctor:

I never get regular flu shots (and very rarely get the flu) but I'm getting the H1N1 shot.

I work for a municipality so there is a lot of interaction with the public. Plus we govt employees will be first priority for the shots, and I hardly ever get first priority for anything.

I think I'm going to get it. They're offering it for free here at work on the 21st, and I want to milk this company for every free thing possible.

My wife the RN, and her brother an MD, and his wife, also an MD, said to wait on the second round of N1N1 vaccines (normally they screw something up the first time..) got to love the QA/QC in medicine right.....

I'm debating getting this vaccine. My wife and I already got the flu shot, and I'm not sure if we are going to get this or not. The reason we might is because of Mini-ble, but we also don't want to take unnecessary risks.

The company I used to work for gave the flu shots for free. I took advantage of this twice. Both times I got the flu and got it pretty bad. Haven't had one since.

Wasn't it the swine flu shots that were rushed out and paralyzed a bunch of people in the 70s?

I feel the need to get it for the sake of my wife who is pregnant. Her doc explained how this strain affects pregnant women and it's not pretty. She's not going to get it due to the unknown long term effects of vaccines on an unborn kid. I don't blame her, but I'll do all I can to keep from bringing home bad bugs.
:doctor:
That's the only time I've ever gotten one. My wife and I took the doctor's (OB and then pediatrician) about whether we got one.

Well, for what it's worth, the H1N1 vaccine is said to have been made in the exact same fashion as the regular flu shots, which have been used for many years now and are considered "safe". There's nothing added to it that isn't added to the regular flu vaccines. The only substantive rumor/fear I have heard is that the nasal spray version has weakened versions of the live H1N1 virus, which if I remember correctly, is the very definition of "innocculation", so, to me, all this just seems like a lot hype spurned on by ignorance.

There's always a bunch of vaccine-fear-hype that comes out with these things. Me, I will get the vaccine. And so will my family.

so you understand my hesitation...I've never vaccinated against seasonal flu either. We have just always put up with the inevitable rounds of illness. The risks of having the flu and the risks associated with the vaccine are so ethereal/remote I can't really balance them anyways, I just don't want to pay for a vaccine for 6 people every year.

I'll get the regular flu vaccine at work and if they offer H1N1, I'll get that, too. I've had the flu twice when I haven't had the vaccine and been very sick both times.

I already had my seasonal flu shot. I'm pretty sure that it will be early next year until the H1N1 is available for me. I'm not too worried either way.

The media hype on this new flu is pretty crazy!!!

I'm not overly concerned about swine flu. But, here's my main worry:

• 3 years ago, Chinese calendar - year of the cow . .. .. Mad Cow

disease.

• 2 years ago, Chinese calendar - year of the bird . .. .. Avian flu.

• This year, Chinese calendar - year of the pig . ... .. Swine flu.

Next year is the year of the cock.

I'm just thinking' . . . .

disease.

Wait a minute ... I thought 2012 was the year for us to get the big one!

JR

disease.

Wait a minute ... I thought 2012 was the year for us to get the big one!

JR
No, didn't you see the movie (or at least the previews)? Things get swallowed up, so it must be the year of the beaver.

Back