Got a job offer. Need advice on what to do and how to resign.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulls2030

Reaction score
So today I got a job offer from a company. (I posted about going through a tough time with my boss a few weeks ago on this thread). The job offer is providing approximately $7000 more than what I currently make (I graduated with a BS in Civil Engineering May 2015 and got a job before graduating, so if I take this new job, this would be my second job since graduating college. Frankly, I was quite put down in the current company I am in. My most recent manager but my down and scolded my work a lot which really has effected me mentally and emotionally (I got changed managers last week thank god, I didn't say anything though that caused the change). I just don't feel the motivation to learn here anymore and I feel I need a change to bring back energy in my career. What I currently do is land development and I have always liked roadway design and this opportunity gives me that. So that is why I am thinking of switching. I feel salary wise as well it would be beneficial for my family. What are your thoughts?

So here are some of my questions/concerns on how to resign since I am doing this for the first time professionally:

1) The person I need to inform, Eric(president of the company) of my resignation won't return to the office until Monday. The offer I got from the company said they need to fill the position ASAP and would like to know my decision by the end of this week. Should I email Eric and let him know about my resignation and put in my two weeks notice? or should I wait to inform/talk to him in person on Monday morning when he returns?

2) If I put my resignation in on Monday morning in person (Monday May 9), would the two weeks notice be applicable until the end of the working day on Friday May 20 (i.e. 14 business days).

3) The offer letter I got from the new company says that my offer is contingent on a drug test. Should I take the drug test and when they receive the successful results, then give my resignation notice? or should I give my resignation notice after I have signed and send my acceptance to the new company? (FYI, I don't do drugs, alcohol, smoke etc so I am confident nothing should come up in the drug test but I am still exercising caution about this drug test.

I would appreciate any advice anyone has regarding my situation. I just want to go about it professionally and in a kind manner and would like to hear what others think about this opportunity.  I learned a lot from my current company and just want to be professional about it.

Thanks everyone.

Man, you need drugs. 

Resign on Monday.  Give your two weeks starting Monday.  Tell him you have an opportunity you can't turn down.  

Alternately, see the Bad advice to previous poster thread for other approaches. 

Good Luck

Yeah I would wait till Monday and do it face to face. You can tell him you rally want to do transportation and that you think it's better for your career (which it will be)

You can let the new place know that you are accepting the job but that your boss is out of town till Monday.

In all reality transportation will pay better down the road, land development is always kind of feast o famine...

Well, congrats! It's good that you acted on finding a position elsewhere. 

Just like your first post, you mention the president of the company. Doesn't this company have an HR department? Let's say president decides to take a few days off because of whatever, are you going to wait around for him to do this face-to-face with him? Don't you have a direct supervisor? 

I think your decision should be based on when this new company needs you to start. I'd call the HR or point of contact for the new job and ask what they are looking for as a start date and how soon after you take the test would they give you a final offer. Personally, I wouldn't give notice without getting a final offer unless you don't mind being out of a job if things don't work out. I think they should understand that you want a final offer first. Who knows what could happen regardless of you being drug-free. 

Once you have those things figured out, you can set a quit date and set the date for you to give notice.

I don't know your rapport with the president but I would tell the direct supervisor face-to-face first then go back to my desk to email him and BCC an external account and maybe a trusted friend. In the email, I'd summarize and say "my last day will be xyz". He might send you to HR. There might be some things you have to do with HR like exit interview, forms etc... They might tell you they don't want you there for 2 weeks. A lot of companies, even without sensitive work, have been walking people out of the building the same day lately (fired, laid off, or resigned). I'm only saying to send something in writing after telling them because I've heard of horrible stories. In some instances they have straight up fired people in the middle of their 2 week and dragged their name in the mud in a very small industry. 

Since you have to let new employer know by Friday, go ahead and workout the start date with them and send them the signed offer, then give notice accordingly. If you're confident there's no reason to wait, then go ahead and give notice on Monday.

Good luck!

I agree with waiting until everything is signed and finalized with your new company. You never know what can happen. I don't believe you owe any explanations to a current company other than its the best decision for your career and family. You are not married to your current employer and shouldn't feel any guilt towards leaving. As far as a reasonable notice, I think I depends. 2 weeks is a minimum, but if you do not have a substantial amount of work to pass off to another person, then it should be fine. I don't think you need to let the president know if he/she is not around. You could probably let your direct manager know and follow up that same day with HR. When the president comes back you can have a face to face.

Unless you are working on a project that is just about finished, don't be surprised if they tell you to pack your stuff and go right then and there.  I don't think it happens as much in the Engineering world, but I suppose some places could be afraid you'll try and steal clients or that you could possibly screw something up on you way out either because you're disgruntled or don't care because you know you're leaving.

that you could possibly screw something up on you way out
This more so than anything else. Back in the day people would have to go copy files, fax them, physically sneak them out... Nowadays, all it takes is a cellphone camera and they'd be no evidence that something got transmitted or taken out. Also could stick a virus USB or card reader into someone else's computer and bring a whole company to a standstill. So, I can understand the concern.

But yeah... It's been happening in engineering too especially with companies that are government contractors and those with proprietary assets like in biotech and mechanical. Maybe not so much with typical consulting firms.

On 5/5/2016 at 9:36 PM, bulls2030 said: So today I got a job offer from a company.
I want to know how everything went. Is the grass greener on the other side of the fence?It would be great to hear an update...
I second that!

Sent from my SURTAB-722-3G-HD-1S using Tapatalk

Back