GM reveals 2014 truck line

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eh, not a fan of either 'teriors. Both look really bulky and over exaggerated. THere is no need for buttons or dials that big in a vehicle in 2013-2014.

The exterior looks like a HD ripoff of the Ford F250, which I don't like.

If I were going to get a new truck, it would probably be the 2013 Ram Laramie

1) Why do the grills of new trucks have to be so f'ing big?

2) The front of the black GMC at night reminds me of a Honda Pilot / Ridgeline

3) I guess I like the dash... I don't know. But the driver's area on the left hand side has a LOT of vacant real estate. No thanks.

4) I much prefer the 4th Gen looks for the trucks.

Meh, Looks like a truck a four year old can draw w/ square fenders and such. Never been a GMC fan.

The 73-78 Chevy truck line has never been surpassed, IMO.
What changed in '79? I thought the same hood and fenders were interchangeable from '73 to '87.
78 was the last year of the big block in half tons and the last year for non-cat engines.

Here's a short history...http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/stories/history/1973-to-1998-chevy-pickups/page1.html

I'll concede that these are really nice trucks.

petes78chevy.jpg

But I like these better...

image_9932f.jpg

Twin I-Beam front end is an alignment PITA and a huge amount of unsprung weight.

Ford's were killer farm trucks, though.

Twin I beam gives the strength of a solid axle with the ride of an independent suspension. What's not to like? Other than old coil springs causing a camber issue that is.

Twin I beam gives the strength of a solid axle with the ride of an independent suspension. What's not to like?
Trying to do two things at once generally means you'll succeed at neither. Ford at least succeeded with the strength. Not so much the ride.

Allard tried it in the 50s. It's just a wonky idea. OK for low farm speeds.

Twin I-Beam front end is an alignment PITA and a huge amount of unsprung weight.
Yeah, but the pic is just a solid live axle, as it would have had for that year. Ford 4x4's didnt start their version of the TIB, twin traction beam (TTB), till '80 I believe.

Yeah, but the pic is just a solid live axle, as it would have had for that year. Ford 4x4's didnt start their version of the TIB, twin traction beam (TTB), till '80 I believe.
I can't remember for sure when they switched over. I think that Ford 4x4 is a '79, right?

I have a weird thing for straight axle 4x4s, especially stuff from the 60s and 70s. No brand preference, really, either.

Its true the TIB staggers the centerlines of the wheels and may lead to a bit of dog-tracking but I never thought it was a bad suspension.

Always thought the old Range Rovers had the best 4x4 setup with the socketed CV joints for their 4x4's. Naturally Toyota copied them with the Landcruiser but by now both have gone to a booted CV joint like everyone else.

We had a late 1970's Dodge Power Wagon. Full-time 4wd, that thing was a beast. Not sure why my parents got rid of it.

Back