Geotechnical Study Materials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketanco

Reaction score
Hello,

Two questions:

1-Can someone give a list of study materials to prepare for Geotechnical Depth? I couldnt find it on this site although I am sure it has been posted...

2-On NCEES Site there is no reference materials listed for Geotech. Does this mean studying for Geotech is way less code intensive than construction and as long as we know the subject from 1-2 good books, we are ok during the exam? I hate having to look at millions of places, during an exam. so may be Geotech is better for me? My experience is much closer to Construction, and I know project management, estimating and scheduling well. Would that still save me, if I chose construction? I am still trying to decide between Geotech and Construction.

hi can anyone tell me what materials are needed for geotechnical PM? i couldnt see anything on NCEES website

Hello Ketanco:

I suggest you study from these books:

1- CERM. (For Morning Section)

2- Principles of Foundation Engineering, Braja Das. (PM Section)

3- NCEES sample questions and solutions.Geotechnical Module.( PM Section)

4- Civil PE Professional Engineer Exam Geotechnical Module. Ruwan Rajapaskse. (PM Section)

Also a course will help you a lot, School of PE or Testmasters.

I hope this help you.

ok so there are no code books or anything for geotechnical right?

I would have a copy of ACI 318 & ASCE 7-05 at a minimum with regards to code books. If you can get your hands on the appropriate IBC, I'd probably have that too, just in case. You never know if you'll get a gimme question that references a code book as a "What does the (insert code here) state about (insert subject here)?" I remember seeing something like that in the practice problems that I was helping a co-worker on when she was studying.

I can ask a few of the geotech's that I know about what codes they took with them; but I think they just utilized the same ones in the afternoon as they had on hand for the morning.

Good luck with your studies.

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so there are no code books or anything for geotechnical right?

There are no codes for Geotech. Did you see my response to your thread here? http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=21432

As I mentioned, you'll want the NAVFAC Soil Mechanics Design Manuals.

This is straight out of the CERM for 'Recommended References for the Exam':

Geotechnical

Geotechnical Engineering Procedures for Foundation Design of Buildings and Structures (UFC 3-220-01N, previously NAVFAC

Design Manuals DM 7.1 and DM 7.2). Department of the Navy, Naval Facilities Engineering Command

Soil Mechanics (UFC 3-220-10N, previously NAVFAC Design Manual DM 7.3). Department of the Navy, Naval Facilities

Engineering Command

I just passed Geotech first try without a class. Just study the CERM for the morning. For the afternoon I used three books, the CERM, Braja Das' Principles of Geotechnical Engineering, and Braja Das' "Foundation Engineering". Use these and you will have enough to pass.

FYI: I did not use the NAVFAC Navy manual at all, not for studying or for the test.

hi can anyone tell me what materials are needed for geotechnical PM? i couldnt see anything on NCEES website
Iam also planning to take Geotechnical or Transportation. Can anyone give us the names of study materials for Geotech or Transportation PM session?

Thanks

GK

if you read the references in this tread for geo and follow the link for the other post you will have your references for geotech

my geotechnical pm collection

CERM

Principles of Foundation Engineering 6th (Das B.M.)

Foundation Design (Coduto D.P.)

Soils and Foundation (Liu C.)

Essentials of Soil Mechanics and Foundations (McCarthy, D.F.)

NAVFAC DM-7.1 (maybe)

NAVFAC DM-7.2 (maybe)

Latest posts

Back