Geo-tech Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckbno

Reaction score
I studied for 2 weeks using 6 minute solutions and NCEES study guide for PE, worked the morning and Geo-tech for afternoon. Here are my test results: I did not pass.

Morning Percent Correct

Cons 75

Geo 62

Str 75

Transpo 75

Water resources 88

Answered Correctly 30/40 Did very well

Afternoon(Geo-tech)

Subsurface Exploration 33

Engineering Properties 80

Soil Mechanics Ana 40

Earthquake Engr 100

Earth Structures 50

shallow foundations 67

Earth retaining stru 83

Deep foundations 75

other topics 20

Answered correctly 24/40

If you average both scores it come to 67.5, not enough

here are a list the ref. I had for the exam

Deep foundations Das

Shallow foundations Das

Six minute solutions (Geo)

NCEES study Guide

CERM

Transp ref

That's it.

I am looking for suggestions to help me get over the top in October e.g. mainly references.

thanks

I read on the forum where someone made 15 -20 on the PM geo-tech and passed. If that's the case I must have got the wrong letter, just kidding.

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is corrent, and you got a 54/80 and did not pass, then I got few answers.

Maybe a little bit more study time. And look into the Chelapati manuals. They are really nice and thorough,

A sorry you did not pass, especially with those numbers. Good luck next time.

ktulu

Why do you think you didn't do better on the morning geotech portion? I think you left too many points on the table in the morning (doing better in geotech would have helped). It doesn't sound like you're too far off, so if this is your first time, I'd just redouble (literally! four weeks isn't too much time to spend) your efforts and take another turn.

If you do remarkably well on the morning, you can do poorly on the afternoon and still pass.

I studied for 2 weeks using 6 minute solutions and NCEES study guide for PE, worked the morning and Geo-tech for afternoon. Here are my test results: I did not pass.I am looking for suggestions to help me get over the top in October e.g. mainly references.

thanks

I read on the forum where someone made 15 -20 on the PM geo-tech and passed. If that's the case I must have got the wrong letter, just kidding.

You did really good in the Water/Envi section. Why don't you take Water for the PM exam next time you take the exam. Just a suggestion. Definitely, like somebody else has said in the forum, double your prep efforts. Sounds like you were really really close.

I am currently working on master in Geo-tech modeling strain behavior for unbound base materials. I thought the geo would complement my skills the most. In the afternoon section there was a lot of practical questions like spt corrections. How do I get better prepared for such questions? I have started reading investigation papers.

thanks

Where can I find the C.V. Chelapati for Geo-tech? I am not sure why I didn't better on the morning section. I think 2 weeks work just wasn't enough to cover the gamut of questions on the P.E.?

I have a good deal of geotech info that I used for the PE exam....with a number of texts on testing, both in the field and in the lab.

Send me an email address and I will send it to you.

The PDF file is rather large, so it will be in two sections.

Also, search this website's older posts as they have plenty of good reference material.

http://www.geoengineer.org/books-foundations.html

http://www.geotechlinks.com/fe.php#Shallow%20Foundations

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/engineering/geotec...ary_listing.cfm

http://web.eng.fiu.edu/~prieto/FoundationEngineering.htm

http://www.vulcanhammer.net/download/

One of the texts that I brought that was really helpful was Geotechnical Engineering Principles & Practices by Coduto. It had alot of good information in it.

I am currently working on master in Geo-tech modeling strain behavior for unbound base materials. I thought the geo would complement my skills the most. In the afternoon section there was a lot of practical questions like spt corrections. How do I get better prepared for such questions? I have started reading investigation papers.
thanks

Where can I find the C.V. Chelapati for Geo-tech? I am not sure why I didn't better on the morning section. I think 2 weeks work just wasn't enough to cover the gamut of questions on the P.E.?
You can find the Chelapati workbooks at the following: www.irvine-institute.org

Hello,

I passed the 2008 April Civil Geotech depth and found Das Fundamentals of Geotech engineering to be very very helpful. In addition to that, I became a community borrower and raided the univeristy's engineering library for texts on everything not covered in Das. Here's the list of Geotech references I took in:

DAS Fund of Geotech 2nd

Geotechnical Materials In Construction 1996 (Rollings & Rollings)

Groundwater Lowering In Construction 2001 (Cashman)

Handbook of Temporary Structures In Construction 1984 (Ratay)

Fundamentals of Earthquake Resistant Construction 1993 (Krinitzsky)

Engineering Principles of Ground Modification 1990 (Hausmann)

Geotechnical Engineering of Embankment Dams 1992 (Fell, MacGregor)

Practical Dam Analysis 1999 (Herzog)

Geotechnical earthquake engineering / Steven L. Kramer 1996

Seismic Design of Bldg. & Structures

They all got used during the exam and all yielded helpful information. I'm sure each one was worth a problem that I would have had to guess on otherwise.

The university had even more and more useful Geotech texts available but someone beat me to those. If I didn't read through the book, I at least tabbed the TOC, Index, and pages that contained topics on the NCEES geotech depth module list.

You did really good in the Water/Envi section. Why don't you take Water for the PM exam next time you take the exam. Just a suggestion. Definitely, like somebody else has said in the forum, double your prep efforts. Sounds like you were really really close.
I tend to agree with this thought, though you still need to prepare for the other parts as well.

As a multiple-repeat exam taker, the one thing I learned was that I needed to do GOOD on every part on the exam and WELL on the part that I was taking for my competency.

Best of luck on your re-take exam! :)

JR

I saw in one of the forums, another future PE who purchased "Fundamentals of Geotechnical DVD review" by Affi and was able to pass immediately afterwards. There are lots of geotech notes online but few cover the vast amount of topics needed.

You must try to study as if you were 20 points too short-better to over prepare. If you are in CA, WWW.soilstructure.com has a 4 day review class that is available. Good luck this Fall, I am sure you will get it.

Back