Garage Door

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udpolo15

Reaction score
My garage is pretty old and the door is probably older. After I open the door, the spring vibrates. I know there is a lot of energy in those things;should I be concerned? Really don't want to replace the door and would really like to use it this winter.

Just take a look at the simple stuff: rivets/bolts on the track, spring eyelets, etc. If everything is snug, you're probably just fine. My grandmother's garage is more than half a century old, and the springs do the same thing.

the spring is under maximum tension when the door is closed. Therefore it's more likely to vibrate with the door open and it is less taut.

If the system is working/balanced correctly the spring should provide enough tension to hold the door about 1/2 way up. Maybe the springs are getting tired and you should replace them.

I had a spring break on my 40-50 year old door. I went to a local garage door company and bought new springs, pulleys, and cables. Lube the rollers with a light oil like motor oil (grease is actually discouraged as it will congeal in cold cold weather and it hold a lot of dirt). I made a world of difference.

Assuming the spring is torsional (one or two springs coiled at the head of the garage door), you'll find out if it's about to give in another couple months when it get's really cold outside.

It might just need adjusting, but it it's vibrating and the spring gets really cold... snap.

I've had 2 replaced on 2 separate houses in my 13 years of home ownership. Par for the course.

Like said above, I'd just make sure none of the linkages / chain are dragging and the door opens and closes smoothly, without anything catching. If it's a spring adjustment and it's a torsional spring, I'd recommend just using a local garage door company to service, one mistake and it could break you. Nothing worth hurting yourself over if you've never serviced. Be there when the guy services it (whether it's a new one or adjustment of an existing one) and you can see what it takes.

I was assuming with an older door, that is is not a torsion but rather the two springs parallel to the tracks on either side. For some reason, I associate torsoin springs on residential doors with nerwer construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
we had one of the springs on our garage door snap this summer without warning. It had been working just fine no weird noises or sticking. good thing it has a safety cable through it or else I'm sure it would have done some damage when it let go. The springs were actually not all that difficult to replace as a DIY. We replaced all 4 even though only 1 broke so the tension would be even. Took hubby a couple hours to do

four springs. I assume you have two garage doors with two springs per door located on the ceiling parallel to the tracks.

Yup easy fix.

Quick easy solution to hold the door up while you change springs, is to put a c-clamp or vise grips in the track at the leading edge of the door blocking the rollers when it is in the up position.

Latest posts

Back