Free and reduced lunches

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
normally if more than 30% of the school is on free or reduced lunch you will want to move to another school district (seriously) the quality of the schooling is going to be much much worse

You might want to check the validity of that award, snick. Not saying it isn't valid, but I've noticed a lot of schools popping up with awards that make me wonder 'htf could that school win anything?'

normally if more than 30% of the school is on free or reduced lunch you will want to move to another school district (seriously) the quality of the schooling is going to be much much worse
We only have one school district in town. I also attended elementary school where the free/reduced accounted for about 85% of the lunches. I turned out okay (tic tic).

We only have one school district in town. I also attended elementary school where the free/reduced accounted for about 85% of the lunches. I turned out okay (tic tic).
same here, one school district for the town...sort of a waste of resourses as all the towns around here are their own school district.

The kids graduating HS in town seem to be turning out ok. Lots of college acceptances, and not just community colleges.

I went to school in a town with two school districts as well. But all the taxes went to the district we were in so there'd be no point in attending the other, despite the fact that they were equidistant.

I don't think there were too many kids on reduced lunches there. It was an affluent suburb where the majority of folks were white collar working class but living outside their means to look like they were rich. Nothing like seeing little Johnny get a sportscar for his 16th birthday, then his parents not being able to afford college.

ok. rural community??

here in the Atlanta suburbs, if your kids school is mostly on free lunch you move ;) but we have 24 high schools in one county so its a little easier choosing..

Does your parole officer agree with that assessment?

j/k

I just saw something on the local news about a program to feed kids on F&RC during the summer break. I just caught the end of the story, so I'm not sure of frequency (5 days/week, 1 day/week, etc.), but I did hear that it's a locally-organized, federally-funded program.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/summer/

7. Who is eligible to get meals?
Children 18 and younger may receive free meals and snacks through SFSP. Meals and snacks are also available to persons with disabilities, over age 18, who participate in school programs for people who are mentally or physically disabled.

8. How many meals do participants receive each day?

At most sites, children receive either one or two reimbursable meals each day. Camps and sites that primarily serve migrant children may be approved to serve up to three meals to each child, each day.

9. How much reimbursement does the government provide?

SFSP reimbursements are now based on the number of reimbursable meals served multiplied by the combined operating and administrative rate for that meal. For summer 2011, the maximum reimbursement rate per meal in most States is:

Self Preparation-Rural Sites

Breakfast: $1.880

Lunch/Supper: $3.2925

Snack: $.7750

Other Types of Sites (Vended-Urban)

Breakfast: $1.8450

Lunch/Supper: $3.2375

Snack: $.7575

Payment rates are higher in Alaska and Hawaii to reflect the higher cost of providing meals in those States.

10. How long has the SFSP been in existence?

SFSP was first created as part of a larger pilot program in 1968. It became a separate program in 1975. More than 2.2 million children participated at almost 35,000 sites in the summer of 2009.

11. How much does the program cost?

Congress appropriated $357.9 million for SFSP in FY 2009 and $312.2 million for the Program in FY 2008. By comparison, the program cost $110.1 million in 1980; $163.3 million in 1990; $267.2 million in 2000; and $327.4 million in 2008.

However, I just realized I'm part of the problem. Our day care gets reimbursed for feeding our kid under these guidelines:

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/care/programba...s/FR_Notice.pdf

Which is really odd to me, because all of the parents at our day care make well above assistance range, but the government still sends our care provider a check.

Food Stamps used to buy lobster and porterhouse steaks.

Then he sells the stuff at 50% of its value for a profit.

Louis Wayne Cuff, a 33-year-old Menominee man was arraigned in 95th District Court in Menominee last week for food stamp trafficking, a felony. Cuff's arrest resulted from a month-long joint investigation by the State Department of Human Services' Inspector General and the Menominee County Sheriff's Department. Cuff allegedly bought the lobster, steak and Mountain Dew and resold it for 50 cents on the dollar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can not argue with feeding kids that are disadvantaged.

I just hope that we can break the generational cycle's and teach these kids a strong work ethic and strong sense of self-value.

If a day-care provider is getting Gub-ment checks when their clientele is affluent people, then we need a Dateline 'Fleecing of America' investigation. :D (I'm in the wrong binness)

Back