For Test Takers PE Mechanical TFS April 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve done it - a lot of people have referred to it as a “confidence crusher” because many questions are a bit obscure and require you to find that one equation buried deep in the MERM to solve. However the other questions seem to be pretty on par with NCEES. Overall I’d say it’s the same level of difficulty as 6MS. Based on the amount of material you’ve already covered, I think you can probably  pass it and be a-okay.

I’m also planning on getting EngPro as my final mock test. I haven’t done an actual 8-hour straight, first-time run through of anything yet. I’d say my confidence level at pulling this thing off is running at about 50% :-/
I am unable to actually sit down for 8 hours to take a mock, but I have been timing myself with a stop watch app for each problem I do to make sure I'm doing them fast enough. I would at least do that. Timing is key. 

I am unable to actually sit down for 8 hours to take a mock, but I have been timing myself with a stop watch app for each problem I do to make sure I'm doing them fast enough. I would at least do that. Timing is key. 
Agree. I found timed exams to be the most valuable form of study. What works for me is doing a 4hr test, scoring it in the afternoon and then working through deficiencies on the following day.

Just got my authorization form and it says that no food is allowed in the facility. Later on it says pack a lunch. What do I do?!?!

Just got my authorization form and it says that no food is allowed in the facility. Later on it says pack a lunch. What do I do?!?!
It meant on test area no food, but you can bring food to eat during lunch outside test area which is the gym in NYC.

It meant on test area no food, but you can bring food to eat during lunch outside test area which is the gym in NYC.
Do they typically have a place where you can leave your stuff behind before you go into the test area?

Just finished my second pass (first timed) at the first half of the Slay the PE exam. Managed to get 31 correct in 3 hrs, 34 minutes (77.5%). That was without guessing on the 6 problems I  skipped (didn't feel like I was getting anywhere on them). I only missed 3 of the problems that I actually completed and answered. I felt the first half of the exam was much harder for me, so I'm pretty confident my performance when I go through the second half will be much better.

Those transient heat transfer/thermo problems are still killing me. I don't recall seeing any problems like that on the NCEES practice exam, so I'm hoping those are more difficult that problems that actually end up on the exam.

Just finished my second pass (first timed) at the first half of the Slay the PE exam. Managed to get 31 correct in 3 hrs, 34 minutes (77.5%). That was without guessing on the 6 problems I  skipped (didn't feel like I was getting anywhere on them). I only missed 3 of the problems that I actually completed and answered. I felt the first half of the exam was much harder for me, so I'm pretty confident my performance when I go through the second half will be much better.
Those transient heat transfer/thermo problems are still killing me. I don't recall seeing any problems like that on the NCEES practice exam, so I'm hoping those are more difficult that problems that actually end up on the exam.
That's good a time. Keep going...
I got mine under 8 hrs on my 3rd timed pass.

As I was reading through this old post, I saw that most of us in here passed the test...have not heard from the others... @cfm03 and @Suhaib Ahmed I hope you guys passed as well! 

Seemed there were only a couple of TFS takers in the forum this April...This board is such a big help for us to slay this beast! 

As I was reading through this old post, I saw that most of us in here passed the test...have not heard from the others... @cfm03 and @Suhaib Ahmed I hope you guys passed as well! 

Seemed there were only a couple of TFS takers in the forum this April...This board is such a big help for us to slay this beast! 
I did not unfortunately. Was probably 7-8 questions away from passing. 46/80 according to my diagnostic

Hello Fellow EIT's who will take the TFS exam this April 2018!

Were almost there, 5 weeks to go. What have you done so far? I thought I should write this up so we can share our prep strategies! I hope we can help each other.

Here's what I've done so far:

1. I started with the MERM on Jan.16., I read most of the chapters that deals with the new exam specs. While reading it, I was doing the sample problems as well. I tabbed each chapter, highlight the equations. Took me about two weeks! Now, looking back, I think I shouldn't have done that. I should have go straight answering practice test in the MERM companion.

2. I did the MERM companion problems all that's in the exam specs only. Did this only one pass to date. Took me 3 weeks to finish all one pass. I was working on this problems for an average of 5hrs a day!

3. After the MERM companion problems. I started answering the NCEES practice test 2016, I managed to finish it all in 8hrs for the first try, but only got about roughly 70% raw score. Then I repeat, until I got 100% correct at about 3hrs 9min top speed, this is on the 5th pass. (I was answering these questions as if its still the first time I saw it.) took me 6 days to be able to pull that speed.

4. Next I did was the 2011 NCEES practice test. There was only like 21 questions that are different than 2016. I did this for 3 days got 100% for 40 minutes after the 3rd try.

5. I moved to 6MS, I skipped all the unrelated problems based on the new exam specs. It took me 5 days to get 100% for about 4.5 hrs. I answered about only 90 questions in here, there are 105 questions total in this book.

6. Now currently I just started answering the 2001 NCEES Practice test.

7. After this, I will do the 2008, then SlayThePE Practice test, then METS(maybe not all, I will select a few good ones in every subject which are different from all the problems I already encountered) then go back to MERM Companion and repeat step #3-#6!

I have all my references ready except for the notes which is not yet bound! The references I have used so far are the following: MERM 13th Ed., Keenan&Keyes Steam Tables, Engineering Conversion Unit, Air Tables, MERM Appendices, MERM Index, my notes, 11x17 psychrometric charts, I also printed random charts like air density at different altitudes, etc. and NCEES Reference Handbook.

Since I started studying, I have not had more than 6 hours of sleep to date. Mostly 4-5hrs sleep!

Please share your experience so far! Lets help each other and rekt this exam!
Good info.. Thank you very much

Back