For real, this is a true piece of advice you need!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engineergurl

Resident Sweet Cheeks
Reaction score
somewhere between a rock and a hard place...
I have been in the work world for almost ten years now and just wanted to share with you some guidance regarding e-mails.

The use of reply all.​
If you wish to convey congrats to a retirement, or the birth of a co-workers baby that is fine, however note that even if you don't see the million other people that the message was sent to, if you click reply... all of them will get the response. The safest way to share your best wishes is to click forward, address the new e-mail to the person who has achieved such an amazing feat that you are actually acknowledging it and send the message to them and only them.

HOWEVER- if someone has invited you to a meeting and referenced several other people in the email to make the meeting happen, it is perfectly acceptable to respond to everyone, it actually helps make the arrangements of the meeting.

Such a pet peeve of mine!!! Often times what I find is people responding from their smart phones perpetuates this. They don't actually know they are "replying to all" because the interface is much different than using the full version of Outlook or equivalent. But that by no means excuses their actions. Figure out how to use your electronics.

We once had a corporate webinar that got bugged some how and needed to be cancelled. Keep in mind this was a company of 10000+. Any time someone either declined or accepted, the notice went out to everyone in the company distribution list multiple times. I actually had to turn my push notifications off because it was a constant stream of incoming mail. Our office actually decided to have a bit of fun and started sending messages to everyone saying "Don't Reply All". One of my co-workers replied to all and simply said "Ok". Wow did that cause an uproar. LOL

:true:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been in the work world for almost ten years now and just wanted to share with you some guidance regarding e-mails.

The use of reply all.​

If you wish to convey congrats to a retirement, or the birth of a co-workers baby that is fine, however note that even if you don't see the million other people that the message was sent to, if you click reply... all of them will get the response. The safest way to share your best wishes is to click forward, address the new e-mail to the person who has achieved such an amazing feat that you are actually acknowledging it and send the message to them and only them.

HOWEVER- if someone has invited you to a meeting and referenced several other people in the email to make the meeting happen, it is perfectly acceptable to respond to everyone, it actually helps make the arrangements of the meeting.
Congratulations!

today I had the opposite... I was in the first round of e-mails but one of the people only responded to the original sender. THANK goodness that the original sender saw this and when HE replied, he added me back into the loop. (oh and by the way, the original message only went to me and this other guy, so it wasn't as if there was a list of ten people)

last one.

:eek:ldman:

I can deal with this as long as it is under 3... only because e-mail is so instantaneous it's not like written communication in the traditional sense where you take the time to think on the content... the 2nd and 3rd e-mail are kind of like post scripts would be in snail mail. more than 3 then I start questioning 'is this person an air head or just not have a clue what they are doing?'

^^^ I do this all the time because on the flip side, when I send an email with important information, I never know if anyone paid attention to it...

Sigh.

I used to respond 10-4 to let them know it was received and comprehended, that's how things worked at my last job. Not so much here- so I have now started including a disclaimer at the bottom of some things that said "A lack of response from any party indicates concurrence to the above statements and decisions." If I had to wait for everyone to agree with me, I would never get anything done, but at least now I can say, well you didn't respond to my e-mail and I said right in there that no response meant you agreed.

If it's something important I'll usually respond with a "thanks" or other method of letting the sender know I received the message--otherwise you never know what gets filtered by the spam algorithms. If someone is annoyed by that then oh well they have a delete key, and I'd be happy not to go out of my way to help them out in the future.

Now what is really annoying are the people that send a read receipt request with EVERY message.

or more annoying, people that send you an email and then come by to discuss almost every email they send!

Last edited by a moderator:
or more annoying people that send yuo an email and then come by to discuss almost every email they send!
**** it. I do that all the time. But I send the e-mail so there is written proof that I informed them. and I go over to talk to them to make sure they do it.

Back