Follow-up to Question for the Car Guys

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit the GTP was great. I really like them.

I had a co-worker who modified one to drag race. He built up the transmission to withstand more stress but never replaced the powdered connecting rods with forged internals.

Ergo, 3 engines later he started thinking about forged rods.

Of course the GTO is awesome as well, however the looks are so bland as to not even notice them, which is fantastic for speed freaks but not too good with sales.

The dealers themselves did the GTOs no favors. $5K 'market price adjustments' pi$$ed off a lot of people. A lot of people who wanted one, but would never buy one because of those cheesy practices. I fell into that group.

They did the same thing to the Solstice.

Of course the GTO is awesome as well, however the looks are so bland as to not even notice them, which is fantastic for speed freaks but not too good with sales
Agreed. The dolts at GM said it was consistent with the the intent of the original GTO, but they should have picked up on some of the origianl styling cues (especially from the much desired "Judge" issues) to stimulate some sales.

The dealers themselves did the GTOs no favors. $5K 'market price adjustments' pi$$ed off a lot of people. A lot of people who wanted one, but would never buy one because of those cheesy practices. I fell into that group.
Agreed. The price was too high period. The retro Mustang took off because people could get the look for a reasonable price. The GTO was no competition price-wise unlees you were looking at the heavily optioned/max power Mustangs (which didn't represent the bulk of the sales.

since I've turned this into a Pontiac thread. Anyone seen this yet?

ASC recreates the Trans AM with a new Camaro

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't pay attention for the initial offering, but I remembered them slashing the prices when they were sitting on the lot. The GTO was a solid car, but the styling was as bland as I've come to expect from GM.

The GTO did look a lot like a Grand Am. I'd walked past them the first time I saw them on the lots because of this. But, I liked the understated look. I just didn't like the jacked up prices.

I wouldn't even buy one at the slashed prices t made me so mad.

Here's a ten point bonus question: Why will this owner be unhappy?

Open element filter downstream from the supercharger on a supercharged motor--BRILLIANT!!!!!

Open element filter downstream from the supercharger on a supercharged motor--BRILLIANT!!!!!
winner winner chicken dinner!

That air filter doesn't suck, it blows! or as a buddy of mine mentions, "that's an expensive way to clean your air filter"

isn't there some sort of backflow valve body at the supercharger inlet line that would prevent the over pressurefrom blowing out the air filter?

Looks like too nice a setup to miss the obvious like that.

I think the guy spent too much money on 'pretty.' Too many shiny things. The owner must be a crow.

isn't there some sort of backflow valve body at the supercharger inlet line that would prevent the over pressurefrom blowing out the air filter?
Looks like too nice a setup to miss the obvious like that.
yeah, my first thought it was naturally aspirated made to look like forced induction (who would pay for that?) - maybe the converse is true? - I wouldn't mind hearing more of the backstory on whose ever setup this is/was. . .cuz i have no idea why an open to atmosphere air cleaner would ever be on a forced induction engine, turbo'd or super'd

I've seen riced civics with fake turbocharger blowoff valves. A speaker and microprocessor linked to the clutch to make a "pweh" noise from under the hood.

I thought it was a radio shack car alarm until someone explained it to me, then I laughed my wontons off.

I think that setup actually bypasses the filter, the inlet pipe goes through the filter, not blowing into it. I think it's ok.

Back