First Look: Fifth Generation Small Block Chevy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
GM-Finch-070612.jpg

http://www.gminsidenews.com/

All I see is a bunch of emission controls, probably an AIR pump, and the world's ugliest valve covers.

Eh, I'm uninspired. I'll stick to my traditional SBC/LSX combos.

It doesn't say anything in the article about it running on unicorn farts and exhausting spring water. It'll never meet modern emissions standards.

haha we just built up a 68 327. man thats a fun little rat motor for sure id take that over a new one any day...especially with that 3800 stall. but I have to admit...they are getting great power out of these new motors and doing it with emissions and the worst gas in history. cant knock that. too bad it costs them 10x more to do it or more.

All I see is a bunch of emission controls, probably an AIR pump, and the world's ugliest valve covers.

Eh, I'm uninspired. I'll stick to my traditional SBC/LSX combos.
That's probably a power steering pump. the holes in the exhaust manifold have been confirmed as for test instruments and won't be production (I thought they were for individual O2 sensors.

Lumps in valve covers probably have to do with the VVT.

Not impressed until numbers are generated. Also, if it's only going to be available in an SS car or highest-trim Cadillac, who cares?

haha we just built up a 68 327. man thats a fun little rat motor for sure id take that over a new one any day...especially with that 3800 stall. but I have to admit...they are getting great power out of these new motors and doing it with emissions and the worst gas in history. cant knock that. too bad it costs them 10x more to do it or more.
Corerct me if I'm wrong but aren't the small blocks "mouse" motors and "rat" is reserved for BBCs?

Last edited by a moderator:
^You're not wrong. Small block and big block Chevy engines were referred to as the mouse and the rat respectively.

hahha thanks for the correction. guess you can tell I aint a chevy man? i refer to all them early chevs as rat motors...my bad! Im used to the elephant motors.

And depending on the year, the 396 could be either mouse or rat.
Ummm...the 400 truck motor was a 402 and a rat. The 400 car motor was a 400 and a mouse.

The 402 big block was still called the 396 in cars...marketting didn't want to lose the 396 cache, and at the time, GM hadn't lifted the policy of no engines over 400 cubic inches in intermediate or smaller cars.

Scratch that..... That clarifies things.

what deciphers the 2 different 396s? I always thought there was just the one. another strong motor though. actually all of em were back then. I grew up too late in life.

wonder if this gen V will keep up with fords 6 banger?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, let me state it another way.

OEM 396 - big block

Poked and stroked aftermarket 396 - small block.

Sheesh

Back