FE in the news

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mudpuppy

Reaction score
I came across this article today:

UE engineering students sweep exams
By Mark Wilson (Contact)

Originally published 08:15 a.m., August 13, 2008

Updated 08:15 a.m., August 13, 2008

All 12 of the University of Evansville civil engineering students who graduated last spring passed the grueling eight-hour exam necessary to begin their careers.

The exam is the first step for many who wish to pursue a career in the field after graduation, said Brian Swenty, chair of UE's civil engineering department. Students from small schools and big schools all must take the test.

"That is hard to achieve, even if you are a Purdue or an Illinois University," Swenty said. "This was really surprise. I don't know if this will ever happen again."

Ten of the school's graduating civil engineering students have accepted jobs, while two opted to pursue master's degrees.

"There has been a lot of demand for civil engineers this year," Swenty said.

The National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying, a national nonprofit organization of engineering and surveying licensing boards from every state and United States territory, oversees the test. The organization is responsible for developing, scoring and administering the examinations used for engineering and surveying licensing.

Students have two chances to pass the examination, Swenty said, or return to take additional classes before trying again. Those who wish to begin their careers in the field must then work four years with licensed professional before taking another, final eight-hour exam for their license.

This is the first time that Swenty knows about UE students have had a 100 percent passing rate on the test.

UE has placed above the national average in students passing the exam for 10 out of the last 12 years, Swenty said.

"The national average is 73 percent. Our 12-year average is 80 percent," he said.

Last year 14 out of 18 students passed the examination.

I assume they are talking about the FE exam. Interesting that the author claims the FE is "necessary to begin their careers."

Also interesting that the entire class passed. Wonder if there were any "stastical anomolies" with their tests?

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, at least twelve of us passed out of my class of 100 (total engineering graduates)...I don't know if this is that impressive. Interesting, for sure, but it seems like with only 12 people graduating total that there'd be more chances for enhanced studying and whatnot. Really this entire article is so skewed for the just that situation.

You know, at least twelve of us passed out of my class of 100 (total engineering graduates)...I don't know if this is that impressive. Interesting, for sure, but it seems like with only 12 people graduating total that there'd be more chances for enhanced studying and whatnot. Really this entire article is so skewed for the just that situation.
I graduated in '94 with 24 other CE students in Texas and all of us that took the FE in our last semester passed. I think with smaller graduating classes your chances go way up just because of the numbers taking it. Although, if you base this on statistics, any given population should produce very simialar results. So with that, I will leave it up to the test gods to say who gets to make sense out of it. :p10940623:

Back