Fatty Raises

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i almost picked up some currant jelly earlier today rolleyes.gif
Man, I looked all day New Years Eve for some currant jelly to make a glaze for some Cornish Game Hens. Used apple jelly with a little extra lemon juice instead. They turned out great for something different from the rib-eyes we normally have before the ball is dropped.

on EB.com there is no differentiation between the Hall of Fame and the Hall of Shame.

how in the hell did this get HOF status?
for stuff like this...

My currant employer is also moving our cubes to the shopping level of a mall (not the professional office space on the 5th and 6th floors where engineers should be, of course I am succunded now so that wont matter as long as im on this current project but there really is nothing to go back to, sitting on the shopping level of a mall is a joke in my opinion but they are still operating under the "your lucky to have a job" mentality and it feels like things are turning around this year so they are going to loose all there staff if they dont make some drastic changes in the next few weeks).
:f_115m_e45d7af:

WTF, I work in a shopping mall. Does that mean I'm not as good of an engineer as riperson. Besides, there's a Sbarro's next door to me and they give me their leftover lasagna at the end of the day. And on the other side of my office there's a plus size lingerie shop. Those chicks like to party.

In almost all circumstances, you'll never get what you're worth unless you switch companies. The business model is to only pay someone just enough to keep them from leaving. When you change companies, the other company is looking to pay you just enough to get you to move and then just enough to stay with them.
The irony is that those who are content and happy with who they work for and how much they earn are really the ones that other companies are looking to hire, but they typically only find the ones who aren't content with where they are or aren't content with how much they're earning, and won't be content with the new company or the new raise.
Dead on. Absolutely true!

I got a pay raise (9%) + stock option bonus in my present company just on the belief that I will pass the PE next month. Ofcourse, they will not admit that it is because of the PE. There is a company wide pay freeze. Till yesterday, they were paying just enough to keep me from leaving. A PE equipped PhD will change that. I am a Mechanical Engineer.

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

N00bs and HOf threads just don't mix.

WTF, I work in a shopping mall. Does that mean I'm not as good of an engineer as riperson. Besides, there's a Sbarro's next door to me and they give me their leftover lasagna at the end of the day. And on the other side of my office there's a plus size lingerie shop. Those chicks like to party.
If there was an Orange Julius where I worked I don't think I'd ever go home.

I work for an environmental company that has been more successful/profitable last year than the ever have and they used the "economy" as an excuse to not give raises. After bitching for 2 months I got a 10% raise. They acted like I should kiss ass but I told them "I'm 25%+ under payed so I should kiss ass for only being under payed 15%+". I know things are tough out there but even profitable companies are using the economy as a excuse to screw employees. If I passed my PE exam the first thing I'm doing is writing a resume and getting the hell outta Dodge.

I work for an environmental company that has been more successful/profitable last year than the ever have and they used the "economy" as an excuse to not give raises. After bitching for 2 months I got a 10% raise. They acted like I should kiss ass but I told them "I'm 25%+ under payed so I should kiss ass for only being under payed 15%+". I know things are tough out there but even profitable companies are using the economy as a excuse to screw employees. If I passed my PE exam the first thing I'm doing is writing a resume and getting the hell outta Dodge.
Actually, you're underpaid 17.5%, not 15%. Just sayin'.

X = baseline

0.75 X = your old salary

(0.75 X) + (0.1 * 0.75 X) = 0.825 X = new salary

X - 0.825 X = 0.175

I'm an E-1 with 3.5 years of experience, LEED AP and now soon to be PE.

There's a bonus for passing but I doubt I'll get a bump now or when things pick up :( The sad part is, I think I shot myself in the foot by passing the PE. The company might do the math (bonus + bump) and decide that it's cheaper to can me.

:sharkattack:

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's here from those who passed what response they are getting from their employers.

First time I read this thread all the way through... HoF for sure!

should I send this to my currant employer
You work in the grape industry? If it is winemaking, it explains a lot.
Nice one!

I don't know about anyone else, but the knowledge fairy tapped me on the head immediately after I got my passing letter. And gave me a lollipop.
you got "tapped" by a "fairy" huh? are you sure that was a lollipop?

And on the other side of my office there's a plus size lingerie shop. Those chicks like to party.
Wow... just wow! this made me lol!

Latest posts

Back