Fatty Raises

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

rppearso

Did anyone here get a nice fatty raise after they passed there PE or is it to early to tell? What was the percentage of your rasie and what engineering disipline are you?

Did anyone here get a nice fatty raise after they passed there PE or is it to early to tell? What was the percentage of your rasie and what engineering disipline are you?
:Locolaugh: :Locolaugh: :Locolaugh:

Sorry to laugh. Nothing personal. I just remember how much I got two years ago. About $600 dollars a year. :smileyballs:

The last 2 companies I worked for would give a bonus when you passed then give you a raise at the annual review. But I've been told by others that you don't get what you deserve unless you switch companies.

Then again with this economical situation everything may be different.

In almost all circumstances, you'll never get what you're worth unless you switch companies. The business model is to only pay someone just enough to keep them from leaving. When you change companies, the other company is looking to pay you just enough to get you to move and then just enough to stay with them.

The irony is that those who are content and happy with who they work for and how much they earn are really the ones that other companies are looking to hire, but they typically only find the ones who aren't content with where they are or aren't content with how much they're earning, and won't be content with the new company or the new raise.

I've heard a lot of people talk about %'s. 10%-20% is what I've heard that most people are wanting or think that they will get, but realize that usually it is in the 4-6% range (when staying with the same company). Most of the people I have talked with are dissapointed with what they actually get.

I got about 10%, but it was coupled with my yearly review. IIRC it was something like 4% from the review, 6% from the PE.

Alot of the basis of the raise comes from what having the PE does for the company. If I was still with my original employer out of college, I would have received nada as they were a general contractor and I was a field engineer. Now that I work for a consultant, my billable rate went up (which allowed them to pay more) and I also went through the company's PM training program to allow me to manage my own projects. IMO, the PM training provided more of a basis for the raise than the PE did simply because I was able to provide more benefit to the company. Only having a PE wouldn't really be able to provide much because the office I work in is entirely PE's (except the receptionist), so if I chose to not sign a set of plans, they would have no problem finding someone else to do the work.

So what im hearing is the PE is not really all that and is more just for oneself to see if you can do it. Maybe its not worth all that much but stamping is still taking on a liability that I would not think one would want to do for free. I think I am just going to forget that I have it lol.

So what im hearing is the PE is not really all that and is more just for oneself to see if you can do it. Maybe its not worth all that much but stamping is still taking on a liability that I would not think one would want to do for free. I think I am just going to forget that I have it lol.
It makes you a hell of a lot more marketable if you were to lose your job.

it's not that a PE is worthless. It's more about what the PE does for both you and your company. Can the company benefit from your PE? If yes, then you should be compensated for it. If not, why should they pay you more?

The PE has some value in the consulting industry. The question is: Are you willing to pay the price? It is a big responsability and I can guarantee you the stress level is very high. With the economy the way it is right now I would not jump to a consulting/designers firm.

it's not that a PE is worthless. It's more about what the PE does for both you and your company. Can the company benefit from your PE? If yes, then you should be compensated for it. If not, why should they pay you more?
Agree. The company I used to work for encouraged us, and even paid for the PE and review books/courses. It had some weight at the time of an opening but was not the deciding factor.

The company I work for now despise engineers with PE license because the managers at the top of the company are not engineers(frankly...you do not have to be an engineer to be at a manager level here...the only requisite is not to have an idea what the job is and no technical knowledge in the area of work) and they do not want engineers in leadership positions. Now, they LOVE Masters Degree, even if it is a Master in something totally unrelated to the job you will manage, their eyes roll back, they pee in their clothes and their knees shake violently if they see Masters Degree in a resume.

The company I work for now despise engineers with PE license because the managers at the top of the company are not engineers(frankly...you do not have to be an engineer to be at a manager level here...the only requisite is not to have an idea what the job is and no technical knowledge in the area of work) and they do not want engineers in leadership positions. Now, they LOVE Masters Degree, even if it is a Master in something totally unrelated to the job you will manage, their eyes roll back, they pee in their clothes and their knees shake violently if they see Masters Degree in a resume.
My previous employer actually discouraged us to get PE's as well. This was because most of the engineers who got them ended up leaving the company. General Contractors typically don't need PE's, and the one I worked for already had as many as they wanted.

Work for a small consulting (civil/structural) firm. No raise for me, but it helps the company out considerably by allowing the company to be qualified to do more/bigger projects. Boss still hasn't given me a reason, but his wife who handles payroll just said "we just can't do anymore than this" and handed me my normal pay check. Blame it on economy. Atleast I'm still working while I look for bigger better opportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm suppose to get a ~4% raise through promotion and a $2k one time bonus, however; w/our current budget issues (state empolyee) it is hard to say if I'll get either!

Anyone looking for a PE Mining Engineer??!! :eyebrows:

after suffering an 18% pay cut last March, I was given a 10% raise (the only one in the whole company) at my yearly review just prior to getting my results back. The pay raise was necessary since I was making less than one of the guys who works for me.

I am going to ask for another raise but I doubt I get it. I have been told I now get to bonus 1/2% off the profits of our district.

I had already ran the engineering department for our district and got my designs stamped in our corporate office. Now our district has a PE they can show off and I will be stamping all my own work.

I like my company, but not enough for them to hold me back. Hopefully they step up to the plate. I will probably test the market some to see what else is out there.

I work for a subcontractor and passed the civil/structural.

Yea thats pretty much it is just start sending resumes out and see what kind of offers you can get, does anyone know if over seas engineering is better compensated (germany, etc)?

Yea thats pretty much it is just start sending resumes out and see what kind of offers you can get, does anyone know if over seas engineering is better compensated (germany, etc)?

That's an interesting question, and also begs the question of reciprocity overseas. How does that work? Are there additional exams to take? Would a license in the US even matter?

Would a license in the US even matter?

Yes and no. A lot of the overseas work from overseas -> domestic is reviewed by a PE prior to construction stateside. The domestic -> overseas work is usually stamped by a PE and then reviewed by the customer's engineers.

No immediate raise here, either. However, I was a non-traditional student when I got my engineering degree. I was very poor and went to work for the for the first place to offer me employment. I work for a state government and have been there for nearly 8 years. I have advanced to a position where I needed the PE license to advance further. The next advancement will raise my salary about 15%. It may not take that long since there are a number of engineers retiring soon.

I can't say that it will benefit me to try to go into the private sector at my age. My boss/supervisor congratulated me and in the same breath told me that I could not leave. All in the office laughed. We are very busy and it would leave our field office in a bind. It will be difficult to pass up an opportunity to try to advance so I put in a hint that a merit raise would be much appreciated...

Back