Failed EIT Once Again Need Help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, Its becoming a nightmare passing the EIT. I have failed twice already and I have decided very strongly that I am going to knock it down this time no matter what. But I need some advice from all of you. Can you please suggest some good review books with some theory and practice problems?

Quit wasting time and money and get a job teaching? Nevermind we have enough failures teaching already, try to get into middle management?
Oh, aren't you just mother's little helper......

The standard that many people use is Lindeburg's review manual. I passed EIT on 2nd attempt many years after leaving school. I have since also passed PE, but that took 4 times. Stay with it, civil26. My best advice is to make a schedule for preparation and stick to it. It's been a long time since I took EIT and it has changed, but you can't go wrong with practice problems. Good luck.
Thank You Mary :) . I really appreciate your advice on this. What frustrated me the most is that i missed it by one point. Do you know think its worth getting it re evaluated?

Thanks,

Civil 26
Hi Civil 26, when you said you missed it by one point, how did you come up with that? what is the passing score ? Im in the same boat...I thought my scores were high enough to pass.
The passing score is 70. I got 69. I am in texas ..so the day you get ur results you can also view ur scores online. Did u receive ur diagnostic report? I havent received mine yet.

I don't know this on line website will help or not....(I post a long time ago)http://engineeringregistration.tamu.edu/ta...ws/FEreview.htm
I prepared a ;ittle bit from here too. What I studied the most was the Lindburg book. But somehow I thought the economics problems in the pm session where nothing like in the book. They seemed pretty simple in the book.

But thank You for the link. I will read from this one too.

In my case, I do not have an engineering degree. I have a BS in engineering technology that is mostly from military school transfer credit and online courses. I only had 2 semesters of calc which were in 1992, so I was at a distinct disadvantage prepping for this test. I did not even know what a differential equation was in February when I decided to take this exam. I had already decided to take the general PM module, so that limited what I would have to prepare for. The books I studied from were:
Calculus for Dummies... (Don't laugh, it had been a while) :lmao:

Calculus Refresher for the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam - Peter Schiavone

FE Review Manual: Rapid Preparation for the General Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (F E Review Manual), 2nd ed. - Michael R. Lindeburg

FE/EIT Sample Examinations, 2nd Edition - Michael R. Lindeburg

And Of course, get the FE Supplied Reference Handbook (either hard copy or download and print)

The calc review was very helpful, and set me up to get through the first chapters of FERM. For the general modules, FERM WAS EVERYTHING.

I took the ~800 page FERM to Kinkos and had it cut into 6 volumes of ~10 chapters each, so I could carry one around and not seem like such a daunting task. It was only about $30 to have it done and I am glad I did because with spiral binding, the pages lay flat, which is nice.

The FERM covered all the questions on the general AM and PM portion to the best of my knowledge, with few exceptions. When reviewing, I was running out of time and got behind the schedule I set for myself( mostly by being distracted by summer stuff). I almost skipped engineering economics but decided to cover it. I am glad I did because that would have made my afternoon session miserable! I tried to work 1 chapter a day, but for me, getting through the Calc review took about 4-5 weeks. I actually went through it twice. I had to supplement my lack of college algebra with an occasional textbook lookup and Wikipedia :) to learn how to do matrix math. This is not covered as well as I needed in the review, but was in about 2-3 questions on the exam so the extra effort paid off.

I went through the morning session ok, but left transposing my answers to the answer sheet until the end. Well, I only left 7 mins to do it in! That was pretty exciting. My hands were shaking a mile a minute. Then I realized on about question 60 that my answers didn't line up... Made it with about 2 minutes to spare. The afternoon was much better, finishing in 3 hrs. I had such a headache that I did not go back over my answers, which is my standard procedure. The afternoon session (general) was very similar to the questions in the FERM and I had plenty of time to work them.

Good luck! I am certain that if I can do it, anyone can! Just keep at it.
Thank You So Much for the help. I was chapfallen when I got my results. FE felt like a hurdle I can never cross. Lets see...I hope I make it this time.

Looks like a good idea. I will enquire with the Texas Board and see if its a feasible option. Thanks a lot.

Out of topic: Anybody knows who offer FE exam prep class here in NY?
Thank you
It depends where you live. I prefer school of pe,because they are offering classes on weekends,not like testmasters(thursday,fri...),and they cost the same around $1000. School of PE also ahve good reviews from other takers.Check it out www.schoolofpe.com. I'm taking in Albany,NY and live in western Massachusetts.

Does anyone knows a course that i can go at night time for the EIT in Florida? Either in broward or dade county.. Please let me know. Thanks

I don't know this on line website will help or not....(I post a long time ago)http://engineeringregistration.tamu.edu/ta...ws/FEreview.htm
I prepared a ;ittle bit from here too. What I studied the most was the Lindburg book. But somehow I thought the economics problems in the pm session where nothing like in the book. They seemed pretty simple in the book.

But thank You for the link. I will read from this one too.

there were so many economics problems in PM session

Lindburg's book helped a lot

My only recommendations to you is to study the Lindeburg book really well and do all the sample problems. I took the EIT about 5 years after graduating too.. and to make things worse I got my degree in EE in which I took one class of statics, and never took fluid dynamics or thermodynamics or dynamics... so throught the Lindeburg book, I was able to teach myself the subjects I never took in college to pass the test.

As for the review classes, I wouldn't spend time on it unless you're going to use it as a supplement for your studying.

Anyway, Good luck to all of you.

Natee

Hi Guys,
I am a new member and wanted to share my experience with the EIT Exam. I have been out of school for 5 years . After Bachelors..I continued to pursue master's in Transportation Engineering and by the time I graduated I almost forgot what I studied in Bachelors.

Now, Its becoming a nightmare passing the EIT. I have failed twice already and I have decided very strongly that I am going to knock it down this time no matter what. But I need some advice from all of you. Can you please suggest some good review books with some theory and practice problems?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I Congratulate all of you who have passed the exam and wish good luck to the ones like me.

Thanks,

Civil26
I assume you have have your back ground in Civil Engineering. The general exam of E.I.T has so many sections and its hard to expect Civil Engineering students to do well in Thermodynamics or Electricity & Magnetism and for Electrical Engineering Students to do well in statics and dynamics. I had my undergrad in Civil Engineering so instead of trying to learn thermodynamics or electricity or magnetism, I tried to focus on topics i am good at, I targeted maths ( which accounts for a huge portion in the exam) statics, dynamics, engineering economy, chemistry, strength of material....etc. So my point is just ace the topics you feel comfortable, morning section is easy, you do not have to know every topic,, all you have to know how to find the formula in the reference hand book and how to use them ( just plug and play ). After noon section is tricky but just stick to topics you are good at and use educated guesses. This is the strategy I used, to pass my exam. Just make sure you know your basics and try to manage your time wisely :) . I think this exam is more about what kind of strategy you take to pass the exam than your knowledge on engineering topic.

Good luck.

Does anyone knows a course that i can go at night time for the EIT in Florida? Either in broward or dade county.. Please let me know. Thanks
Let me know what you find out - studying for electrical here in central Florida; how about yourself?

I took the exam after being out of school for 5 years. I failed the first try and passed the second (took the General exam both times). The first try I tried to work through the Lindeburg book, but that was frustrating for me; a lot of the information was presented differently than I had learned it in school and I had a hard time making it through the book.

The second time around I took a new approach. I googled each subject and found some really good info on the web, mostly from University sites that were set up to help students pass the exam. I found the Texam A&M website to be particulary helpful, expecially with the engineering economics. I was thoroughly confused after going through this subject in Lindeburg's book, but completely understood the subject after watching the Texam A&M videos (even helped with some of my Master's courses in economics). There were quite a few economics questions on the exam too, so good low hanging fruit if you understand the questions.

I also found this site www.eitexam.com. You pay $15 for three months and it has a lot of information, practice problems and practice quizzes. I thought it was easily worth the $15.

I know there's only a few weeks left, but hope this helps someone.

I took the exam after being out of school for 5 years. I failed the first try and passed the second (took the General exam both times). The first try I tried to work through the Lindeburg book, but that was frustrating for me; a lot of the information was presented differently than I had learned it in school and I had a hard time making it through the book.
The second time around I took a new approach. I googled each subject and found some really good info on the web, mostly from University sites that were set up to help students pass the exam. I found the Texam A&M website to be particulary helpful, expecially with the engineering economics. I was thoroughly confused after going through this subject in Lindeburg's book, but completely understood the subject after watching the Texam A&M videos (even helped with some of my Master's courses in economics). There were quite a few economics questions on the exam too, so good low hanging fruit if you understand the questions.

I also found this site www.eitexam.com. You pay $15 for three months and it has a lot of information, practice problems and practice quizzes. I thought it was easily worth the $15.

I found a site called www.eitexperts.com, for next 10 days they teach the calculator for free , it is really helpfull

I know there's only a few weeks left, but hope this helps someone.

Back