Expecting

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it turns out I do have gestational diabetes. I'm looking at it as a good thing though, because it will force me to eat better, which hopefully will transition over into better eating habits after pregnancy. Unfortunately, I see a lot of meal planning in my future . . .

Well, it turns out I do have gestational diabetes. I'm looking at it as a good thing though, because it will force me to eat better, which hopefully will transition over into better eating habits after pregnancy. Unfortunately, I see a lot of meal planning in my future . . .
My SIL was told a week ago she has it too. She had it during her last pregnancy, so she already knows the routine but for some dumbass reason doesn't follow it.

My SIL was told a week ago she has it too. She had it during her last pregnancy, so she already knows the routine but for some dumbass reason doesn't follow it.

my sil is the same way. firt baby was only like 7#12oz, so shereally isn't taking it all to seriously

That's a bummer! I ended up passing my 3-hour, which was a surprise to me since I tested as insulin resistant/prediabetic about 3 years ago. I know bloodwork can change but I was not optimistic. I really could use better eating habits regardless...I've been such a sugar junkie the last few months and I know it's not good for me!

Mrs. OSU is doing well so far... of course, we have a family picnic thing this Sunday... and then there's that outdoor wedding a week before she's due (something tells me we won't be at that one)... She goes back to the Dr. this Friday for another routine visit... every 2 weeks now... Meanwhile, I've been killing myself trying to get everything done before the baby gets here...

Little OSU's room has a fresh coat of paint, and as of yesterday, new carpet (with some touch-ups needed to the new paint...)... We're getting new carpet everywhere (except the basement/kitchen/bathroom) in the house.... But just our luck, something was wrong with one of the carpet rolls, and the installer refused to install it.... which is good.... but that also means we have to wait another 2-3 weeks for another roll.... Which is something that Mrs. OSU is not liking very much... Nor is she liking the seams in the carpet in the areas where it's already installed...

All in all everything else is going well... We had the baby shower a week and a half ago.... lots of food... lots of people (60ish)... relatively stress free...

I'm not sure how I feel about the weather. I should be happy that we've had an unseasonably cold spring here (already passed the record rainfall for June), but I didn't expect to need a maternity coat with an August due date, so my coats have been severely inadequate for the last few months. Luckily I've got AC at home and work so I'm hoping it won't be a big deal when it warms up. It doesn't really get that hot here anyway.

As for me, the diabetes thing has been a struggle - some days my levels are awesome, other days they're above the limit (although not that bad). I basically eat the same stuff everyday, so its been really puzzling my doctors. I'm on medication, but since I'm taking the absolute lowest dose possible (next highest dose makes me hypoglycemic), its been pretty difficult to control. We decide next week if I need to go to insulin, which will be a lot easier to control. I've been eating a lot better and not gaining much weight (I've gained less than 10 lbs from when I got pregnant). granted I was overweight to begin with and it seems like a lot of that weight is starting to go to the baby. As long as the baby is healthy, that's fine by me.

Of course, now that I have GD, I am considered high risk, so I get to go in for weekly appointments now (I'm 32 weeks) and each appt will include non-stress testing. Just had an ultrasound that confirmed the baby hasn't been affected by my gestational diabetes, so I'm happy to know that - they estimate her weight at 3lbs 14 oz. I also found out I'll be induced before my due date, so its kind of nice to know it won't go any longer than that. I'm hoping the baby stays head down so I won't automatically need a c-section.

Over the weekend, I think I strained either a ligament or muscle in my abdomen which makes it painful to move (the doctors can't figure out what's wrong, but at least the baby is fine). but the hubby has been great taking up the extra house duties like cooking and cleaning, so I can veg out on the couch.

Nursery is painted, furniture should be delivered in a week or two, and hubby is scrambling to get the master bath remodel completed. The summer is so full of social stuff, it will be cutting it close to get it done. I sort of feel bad that I'm so useless right now around the house, but then I remember that growing a baby is hard work and then I don't feel so bad :D

congrats wvgirl. That's great news!

Well, I have some exciting news of my own - at 33 weeks, my membranes ruptured and I started having pre-term contractions yesterday. 13 hours later, Emily arrived into our world. she's relatively healthy for a premie, 4 lbs 6 oz, but needs to stay in the NICU for a few weeks to get a little more help developing her lungs. I'm doing really well as labor went relatively quickly once we realized I was actually going to have a baby that day. Luckily she didn't appear to be affected by my diabetes and my sugar levels are returning to normal (without medications). I got to hold her for the first time this morning and she's so precious! I go back down in 30 minutes for some more bonding time. I'll post pictures when we get some that don't have tubes everywhere - those pictures are kind of scary looking . . .

We're scrambling now to figure out what we need to do for work and home. This wasn't something we had remotely anticipated.

Well, congrats klk! I hope everything goes OK in the NICU, but I am sure it will.

:appl:

Back