Exercise/Weight Loss

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohhhh yeahhh. :bio:

photo.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything you describe is very normal. You should gain some weight until your body stabilizes itself, then the gains will come a little slower. You're strength will ramp up like that at first too, enjoy it while its doing it, because it too will level out and the increases will be smaller.

As far as the shoulder, are you doing barbell inclines? if so stop them. Do only dumbells for inclines or no inclines at all for that matter. Barbell inclines are very bad for shoulders and WILL (not may) cause an injury at some point. It's a long explanation, but they are no good. It puts the shoulder in an unnatural situation.

SapperPE said:
Any other exercises to avoid?
Any thing else popping and hurting? LOL.

Brief explanation: the inclines w/ barbell lock your grip to a place on the bar, and as you push up, your arms extend out causing the bicep to elongate at the same time the shoulder is contracting. The bicep attachment is located on the shoulder and this causes a pull-pull effect on that joint where the bicep and shoulder attachments are working against each other. When doing dumbell inclines, the bicep doesn't elongate because your hands now move in an arching motion at the top instead of forcing your hands apart from each other like the bar does.

Clear as mud?

SapperPE said:
Chest: Bench press, butterfly machine (butterflies), dumb bell press, pushupsTris: Dips, pull down on the rope on pully thing(push downs), pushups, bench press, dumbell thing where you lay on your back and put the dumbell over your head and lift up (eyebusters/skullcrushers).

Bis: Curls with the squiggly line bar seated(EZ-curls), curls with the straight bar standing, dumbell curls, lat pull downs

back: lat pull downs, pull ups, dumbell rows leaning forward on a bench (bent over Dumbell rows)

legs: leg press on the machine with the straight bar and the hooks(sled), leg presses on another type of machine with pulleys(horizontal leg press?), leg extensions for quads and the front part of the thigh (quads are the front of the thigh), knee raises on a machine (calf raises)

shoulders: dumbell raises, shrugs with dumbells

abs: crunches, situps, some ab contraption machine that I probably won't use much anymore because it sucks, flutter kicks, leg raises

That is about every machine in the weight room, and I vary it up so I don't always do the same routine and use the same equipment.
I hope the info in blue helps bring your GYM RAT vocabulary up to speed. :laugh:

What if you don't want to gain weight? I'm not working out like Sapper (by the way, that's awesome that you're doing all that). I'm just doing a lot of reps with pretty low weights a couple times a week and running a lot. It seems like as soon as I start doing any serious running I gain 5 lbs and it doesn't come off until I stop running. I would like to lose those 5 lbs while still running as much.

fraz,

don't even get on a scale. I'm sure you've heard it before, but its very true. If you're trying to lose "weight" your more than likely really wanting to lose fat. That is two different things.

If you gain 5 lbs. but your clothes are getting loose, is it really a bad thing? Plus, anytime you start a program, your body will try to adapt, and sometimes that is by putting on water, etc. It's not a big deal, if you stay with the program for 6 weeks+, it will all level out, and the results will follow.

That said:

1. running is great for cardiovascular health, terrible for fat loss

2. diet is 90% of it, exercise and sleep is the rest.

3. lots of reps, low weights doesn't "tone" while heavy weights low reps "bulk", it's a myth (refer to #2)

Sapper,

Sounds like you are doing great considering the circumstances. And it's OK to train at different times of the day, it's good really, and nothing wrong with moving those rest/training days around. That's good for variety too. The sleep is the only tough thing in your case. Keep at it bro!

SapperPE said:
That is very interesting. It makes sense now that you explained it. Nothing else is hurting, but that was starting to concern me. I am glad I asked. I actually was hesitating on asking because I didn't want to sound like a pansy.
Here are the exercises I am doing. Keep in mind my options are limited because we don't have a state of the art gym, as you can probably imagine.

Chest: Bench press, butterfly machine, dumb bell press, pushups

Tris: Dips, pull down on the rope on pully thing, pushups, bench press, dumbell thing where you lay on your back and put the dumbell over your head and lift up.

Bis: Curls with the squiggly line bar seated, curls with the straight bar standing, dumbell curls, lat pull downs

back: lat pull downs, pull ups, dumbell rows leaning forward on a bench

legs: leg press on the machine with the straight bar and the hooks, leg presses on another type of machine with pulleys, leg extensions for quads and the front part of the thigh, knee raises on a machine

shoulders: dumbell raises, shrugs with dumbells

abs: crunches, situps, some ab contraption machine that I probably won't use much anymore because it sucks, flutter kicks, leg raises

That is about every machine in the weight room, and I vary it up so I don't always do the same routine and use the same equipment.
That is an impressive workout Sapper, you are sure to see results with that. I have to admire you making the most of your situation there :laugh:

It's funny, after my second big wreck skiing this season (I think I'm having a mid life crisis or something :D ) when I was rehabbing my shoulder they told me not to do military presses like DV said. I think that lat pulldowns behind the head are bad too, but are OK if you keep the bar in front.

After the third wreck, they told me not to do leg extensions w/ weights again ever, that I risk pulling out the bone grafts that hold my nice new ACL in place. :th_rockon: which kind of sucks because the extensions are a great balance after squats/leg presses.

It's raining here today. Dammit!

Saturdays are my day to do my longer training rides. I think I'll either take out my old clunker mountain bike if it's just drizzly later, or hook my road bike up to the trainer and "ride" it in the living room.

I despise using that trainer but it comes in handy during the 2 consecutive months of rain it seems like we get here.

Back