ESSENTIAL resources (books, guides, etc...)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master slacker

Something awesome.
Reaction score
So let's just say you were preparing to study for the April 2009 ME PE with the machine design depth exam in the afternoon. I am just now organizing all of my old undergrad notes and books for a month-long (if not longer) review to get the old noodle refreshed. What resources would you consider ESSENTIAL for review/studying? Below is a list I compiled from my own research.

1) MERM (11th, possibly 12th) - Lindeburg

2) Practice Problems for the Mechanical Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual, 12th Edition - Lindeburg

3) Mechanical PE Sample Examination - Lindeburg

4) 101 Solved Mechanical Engineering Problems - Lindeburg

5) Six-Minute Solutions for Mechanical PE Exam Mechanical Systems and Materials Problems - Harriet G. Cooke

Is there anything I missed or anything on my list that isn't really needed? Also, what is the general consensus of the PPI Passing Zone? Please let me know. Thanks :mellow:

So let's just say you were preparing to study for the April 2009 ME PE with the machine design depth exam in the afternoon. I am just now organizing all of my old undergrad notes and books for a month-long (if not longer) review to get the old noodle refreshed. What resources would you consider ESSENTIAL for review/studying? Below is a list I compiled from my own research.

2) Practice Problems for the Mechanical Engineering PE Exam: A Companion to the Mechanical Engineering Reference Manual, 12th Edition - Lindeburg

5) Six-Minute Solutions for Mechanical PE Exam Mechanical Systems and Materials Problems - Harriet G. Cooke

Is there anything I missed or anything on my list that isn't really needed? Also, what is the general consensus of the PPI Passing Zone? Please let me know. Thanks :mellow:
I took electrical, but I think everyone agrees you need the NCEES Sample Questions and Answers for your discipline.

Added to the list. Thanks, Benbo.

6) PE Mechanical Sample Questions and Solutions Book - NCEES

Any more suggestions?

Absolutely, base your study off of this. (I used 11th edition for April 2008 exam. Might be time to go to the 12th. Not sure what major differences there would be.)

Yes

Yes

Won't be very useful. Way more complex than exam problems. Use your time elsewhere. I had this book also and never worked the problems. (Believe me, you won't be hurting for more material, even with what you have listed).

YES

6) PE Mechanical Sample Questions and Solutions Book - NCEES

YES, definitely.

Also...

1. Six Minute Solutioons-HVAC (At least work the breadth portion)

2. Six Minute Solutioons-Fluids/Thermo (At least work the breadth portion)

3. College Machine Design Book

4. Mark's Handbook for Mechanical Engineers

As you can see, the $ you can spend on these books can add up very quickly. But do not take the exam lightly. Most who do do not pass. Take the exam one time if possible! Most important, search old threads on this board and the "other board" for advice on the exam. That in itself is just as valuable a reference.

Remember, the exam changed with the October 2008 test. (SI units). Also, follow the study guidelines in MERM and the NCEES website closely. Good luck.

Back