Environmental PE exam-any state with less than 3yr experience requirement for masters degree

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kk18

Reaction score
Hi All,

Congrats for those who passed the exam and Good luck for those still waiting. My Q - is there any state with where i can take the PE exam in environmental with less than 3yr experience requirement (i have a masters degree in envi)

also California permits PE exam with 1 yr exp but it does not give exam in envi eng. any help appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas,

Kevin

There are many states that will allow you to substitute education for experience, I know that both Michigan and Florida (two states I am registered in) have such provisions.

However, I am not sure where you are going with this question since you really need to be concerned with the requirements of the state(s) you intend to become licensed in since any application by endorsement (reciprocity) requires you to meet that state's requirements prior to becoming licensed.

Good luck!

JR

Hi All,
Congrats for those who passed the exam and Good luck for those still waiting. My Q - is there any state with where i can take the PE exam in environmental with less than 3yr experience requirement (i have a masters degree in envi)

also California permits PE exam with 1 yr exp but it does not give exam in envi eng. any help appreciated.

Kevin
Kevin - My understanding is that almost all states require 4 years of experience after your Bachelors. Many states will count your Masters as one year of experience. I am not aware of any state that will consider less than 3 years of work experience. Good luck and Happy Holidays..!

There are many states that will allow you to substitute education for experience, I know that both Michigan and Florida (two states I am registered in) have such provisions.
However, I am not sure where you are going with this question since you really need to be concerned with the requirements of the state(s) you intend to become licensed in since any application by endorsement (reciprocity) requires you to meet that state's requirements prior to becoming licensed.

Good luck!

JR

Thanks JR,

what you said is perfectly right. even if i get PE, i can not meet FL state requirements BUT The reason why i want to take PE exam now with 1 year exp and with Masters is that, I have got plenty of time now for the exam and i am not sure if i will get such time again. so my supervisor told me to take the exam now and wait till 2 more years to be licenced again in PE.

hope i explained my self and pl do let me know of your thoughts on this idea.

ps- when i asked CA board they told, they do not offer PE in environmental, which i found strange. So what do envi guys in Calif get licensed to become PE ???

thanks and Happy New year 2010,

kevin

Hi All,

Kevin
Kevin - My understanding is that almost all states require 4 years of experience after your Bachelors. Many states will count your Masters as one year of experience. I am not aware of any state that will consider less than 3 years of work experience. Good luck and Happy Holidays..!
Thanks a lot VGAC. CA offers PE exam with 1 year exp after masters BUT it does not offer PE in Envi field.

tc and Happy New Year,

kevin

Hi All,

Kevin
Thanks a lot VGAC. CA offers PE exam with 1 year exp after masters BUT it does not offer PE in Envi field.

tc and Happy New Year,

kevin
Thats an interesting nugget of information Kevin. While we are discussing State requirements for licensure- has anyone had success getting a FL PE through comity/reciprocity. I decided to get my PE in Ohio as Florida would not let me take the test (undergraduate deficiency in Humanities). Like Kevin, I wanted to get the PE exam out of the way. Ohio took my Masters and work exp into consideration and let me take the test.

Heard stories of people hiring lawyers and getting pre-reqs waived after securing a PE in another State. Wondering how much of that is true. Thanks in advance for any insights.

Back