Enhanced Education Requirements for the PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really think this is just really more of the same grandstanding done by focus groups and committees. The business model for engineering isn't predicated on who is the brightest; therefore, it follows that raising the education requirements for professional licensure is not a direct result for improving the earning power of a professional license.

If there is really anything that needs to be done, that is reform the licensure/examination PROCESS !!! Continuing education and peer review in our profession is what is going to build up the profession, not an additional 30 credit hours of coursework.

Given that most states have handed over their authority to NCEES to determine who is minimally competent for engineering licensure, I don't see this being picked up by many states unless there is a special need or circumstance. '.02'

Don't get me wrong now, I am all for individual improvement - just not at the expense of a recommendation from a committee that appears to be far removed from the isssues of the profession.

Regards,

JR

Let me apologize now for the length of this, but I feel a rant coming on...

I think that certain engineering fields, especially civil, have become so broad that additional credit hours would probably be a good idea just to get a BS. I mean, check out the environmental field. There's so much overlap between the "environmental" and "civil" branches of engineering, that I wonder what the purpose of either is. For example, if I become licensed as an Environmental Engineer, in my state at least and pretty much every other state I have researched (especially CA which doesn't even recognize Env.), anyone with a Civil PE can legally do what I do - there's no difference in the public's eye between the two. Except that I won't be allowed to do the other stuff a CE can do. So I would argue that either "Civil" engineering needs to be broken up into "smaller chunks," or that the "Civil" degree needs to become at least a five-year program.

On the other hand, I agree that a graduate degree is no indication at all of actual ability or skill in the real world. That's what I thought the PE licensing system was all about. I have worked with countless MS and PhD's who could barely find their way to the bathroom, and by far the highest turnover I have seen in all the fields I have worked in so far has been among those holding graduate degrees. Maybe they expect more from their employment, or maybe the extra schooling just dulls their ability to accept the sometimes menial tasks that everyone has to face once in a while in the real world.

"oldtimer" "Why I remember..." way back when I started working in the oil field as a well logging engineer, my first job out of engineering school, the company I worked for (Schlumberger Well Services) was in the midst of a new recruiting strategy to aim for only the best & brightest from North America's top geology schools. Their professional recruiters wined & dined MS and PhD candidates, took them on ski trips, you name it. I ended up getting thrown in with this lot simply because my non-geology university was nearby to one of their field offices, and I thought it sounded cool to not have to go to work behind a desk. No wining and dining. So I end up in their training school in Canada a few months later with the best and the brightest of North American geology. The training consisted of a 2-month "boot camp" of 6 days a week, sometimes 24-hours a day classroom and field training focused on theory, performance, and equipment repair/maintenance. Real hands-on stuff. At the end of the two months, at the top of the class was myself and one other lowly BS holder from Canada. Within 6 months, back in the actual "field," we were the only two left out of the original group. The rest had all left. Good guys and gals, don't get me wrong, they just weren't cut out for the pressures of that particular type of work. (to be fair, not many people are, and the turnover rate is pretty much the same no matter what pool they recruit from).

But that's not to say that I don't think there's any value in higher degrees or more education. But I do believe that such things are of more value later in one's career, once a person knows what they want to be doing. I don't think it's a good idea for anyone to go straight from a BS to a graduate program, until they have worked for a while, unless they only intend to work as a "scientist" or remain in academics. But that's just my opinion. I agree that NCEES seems to be under the undue influence of academics. I believe that a BS in engineering, plus relevant work experience, the ability to pass the PE in your primary field, and quality continuing education should continue to be the focus. The PE is a professional certification; not a degree. If NCEES thinks the current engineering curricula (?) are not adequate, then this is something I feel ABET should deal with strictly within the confines of their academic kingdom. If ABET says 5 years are required for an engineering BS, then you will hear no argument from me. But NCEES telling us that we need more schooling... well...

And what is this going to mean in the long run for people like me, who have switched fields since graduating? (now you see the real motivation for the rant. It's always about ME) Will we fall through the cracks? Will we get left sitting in the office, preparing all the work for the 20-something MS holder to stamp for us? Reviewing his drawings? Holding his hand while we help him find his way to the bathroom? Giving up our window desk because he has a masters degree, and we don't? :true:

The states have developed their licensing regulations for a reason. Anyone who works in any regulatory field can tell you that one size DOES NOT FIT ALL. Hence the varying levels of experience required depending on the type of degree you hold, and the ability for the board to consider each applicant on an individual basis (which also opens the door to abuses, but that's life). I hope the states continue with that policy, unless of course ABET steps forward to do their job, so that NCEES doesn't feel the need to.

At any rate, this probably won't affect any of us, so why worry?

Rant off. (where's the rant on/off emoticon?)

I'd go for continuing education, in order to maintain your license... rather than a masters before you can even sit for the exam. I agree that we shouldn't be discouraging folks from a profession that very obviously needs people...

Do any states require CEU's after passing the PE?

OK, color me confused. Where does it say you have to have a masters?

The approved language states that an engineer intern with a bachelor's degree must have an additional 30 credits of acceptable upper-level undergraduate or graduate-level coursework from approved providers....
I understand that there is concern that to achieve a bachelors degree is requiring fewer and fewer hours and there is concern that engineering degrees are becoming "watered down", I don't see where it says masters.

Does "approved providers" have to mean college? Maybe this will get societies off their cans and offer some really good, meaty classes - not just these 3 hour fluff seminars......

Does an Masters in Business count towards the new PE requirements. I truly believe that an MBA is more useful in the real world than most masters in engineering degrees.

Does an Masters in Business count towards the new PE requirements. I truly believe that an MBA is more useful in the real world than most masters in engineering degrees.
Word!

I agree!

Heck, my bachelor's degree was more than I need- technically speaking.

I would be curious to see if the MBA would count (especially since I already have one :BK: )

I think if you look at your transcripts most of us probably alreay have close to the amount requested by the ncees. I was "hot" about this until I fond out I already had more than enough hours with just my undergrad (But I did take a few extra survey courses after I graduated so that I could take the LSIT)

I still also think ncees should just stick to the exam, and let the states decide who can and cannot sit for the exam in their state.

I still also think ncees should just stick to the exam, and let the states decide who can and cannot sit for the exam in their state.
I disagree, I think the whole process should be run by the UN and the standards should apply to the whole World.

:jk:

You do realize that NCEES is comprised of the state boards, right?

I'm pretty sure that all of the committees listed in your link are made up of state board members. I think I read in one of the Licensure Exchange newsletters that they put out (you can read them on their website), that there's only 50 or 60 people who actually "work" for NCEES. But all of the decisions, policy, etc., comes from committees made up of the state boards.

Does "approved providers" have to mean college? Maybe this will get societies off their cans and offer some really good, meaty classes - not just these 3 hour fluff seminars......
Good point.

That would be nice. I think specific cources would be much better for continuing ed vs. college courses that are geared towards the engineering student. We are no longer 'students' in that matter, but are experienced professionals that look for something specific to our fields. College coursework is anything but specific.

But, just think about how tough some of the college courses seemed at the time, and now, with the understanding of processes that you have, how much easier the concepts would be for us.

The real world experience is what is priceless. and I think the societies could harness that into courses better than higher ed.

State Boards and State Legislatures are still different animals, the board still has to get the state legislature to write a bill, get it passed , signed by the governor, etc for the changes to take effect.

I dont know about other states, but even slight changes to the engineer requirements in my state have been hard to get passed, even with the boards approval.

The real world experience is what is priceless. and I think the societies could harness that into courses better than higher ed.
Absolutely true. I always tell that to my junior engineers. The most remarkable thing that my Ph.D. has taught me is to think. If that was done at a bachelor's level, we really wouldn't need a higher degree. Most BS graduates just want to find the way to apply the formulas (as well as most MS graduates). Learn to think comes otherwise only with experience and after stumbling into some hard blocks. Other than a Ph.D., mistakes are the best way to learn (I recommend someone else's mistakes). I agree that education requirements should be a matter of ABET and not NCEES, but someone has to step up to the plate. Recently we have even seen advertisements about online degrees that take a couple years to get a BS. I don't think that any real engineer would respect such a degree and that is really diminishing the engineering profession in the public eyes. Lis someone said before, fewer engineers (PE's) will increase the rates, since companies will have to work hard on their bids to get the fewer PE's. In addition, I believe that there should be tougher rules in accepting some foreign degrees. I know that FL does a decent job evaluating those "degrees" (I saw a guy from india that had a 3 yr technology degree and got a MS... that shouldn't qualify him to take the PE anywhere) but states like CA, don't really pay much attention to that. My '.02'

I had 162 or so hours when I graduated (145 required, but changed majors from computer and math eng to civil). Wouldn't be that hard.

I disagree, I think the whole process should be run by the UN and the standards should apply to the whole World.

:jk:
Well...with the Democrats gaining power....maybe that's more of a possibility. :eek:ld timer:

They do. Each individual state board will have to decide if they are going to adopt NCEES's new ruling.

I have two questions:

1) If they do pass the +30 hrs, will the hours have to be course work for an accredited program? Because I don't see how 30 hours of advanced speed reading, basket weaving, or english lit is going to make any engineer more apt to pass a freakin PE exam.

2) If they do pass the +30 hrs. thing, how will they enact it? It would have to grandfather those like us, and begin with say the graduating class of 2009 or something wouldn't it?

Back