Engineers in high demand, growth expected

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the BLS, electrical and electronic engineering technicians earned mean annual wages of $53,990 in 2008. If you love the work but want a higher salary and more responsibility, you can transition your associate's degree into bachelor's degree training.
Not exactly true .... not if that education doesn't meet ABET requirements.

JR

According to the BLS, electrical and electronic engineering technicians earned mean annual wages of $53,990 in 2008. If you love the work but want a higher salary and more responsibility, you can transition your associate's degree into bachelor's degree training.
Not exactly true .... not if that education doesn't meet ABET requirements.

JR
that path probably leads more towards a bs in engineering technologies.

According to this article...
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-t...in_america-1057

Engineers are #1 on the list of jobs where where there are more openings than trained workers, according to their survey.

Beats being #1 on the jobs hit hardest by the recession list.
If any of this is true, then I must be underqualified or the NW is the most pitiful economy in the nation. Geez... The only jobs that can't be filled right now are the senior bridge engineer positions... one guy leaves a firm that only does structural bridge and goes to another firm that only does structural bridge. No one is willing to hire a structural that has done buildings and towers for 10 years... as if following the AASHTO is some sort of mystical potion... I'm pissed off at this article. It makes no sense!!! (other than bridge structural positions in my case)

I'm interested in the potential for growth, as stated in the thread title.

I am also intrigued by the statement above that there are "more openings than trained workers".

This is good news!

I take it you own a lot of dogs. Do they live under the porch?
Huh?

All your avatars have been dog related lately. I assume you own a lab.
My av has been a chocolate lab theme for a while. I've got a chocolate that's just shy of two, and a black one that's 12 weeks old we got over Thanksgiving. I dig the breed.

IMG_1034.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree the article was bullshit. They must have used some ridiculously small sample size that skewed the results. If this were true then we wouldn't be seeing layoffs and pay cuts.

I do wonder what percentage of these openings are a) there because engineers are unwilling to relocated, B) field engineering positions that require a considerable amount of travel. I'd think the shortage would be much larger in that field, as opposed to a home office design engineering position.

I'm interested in the potential for growth, as stated in the thread title.
I am also intrigued by the statement above that there are "more openings than trained workers".

This is good news!
Are you looking for permanent growth or temporary expansion?

We have an opening, but our location isn't as prime as some. You have to enter from around back. Does that work for you?

I agree the article was bullshit. They must have used some ridiculously small sample size that skewed the results. If this were true then we wouldn't be seeing layoffs and pay cuts.
It probably all depends on where you are. In my field (which is admittedly specialized) and geographic location, demand is pretty high. I've gotten phone calls for the last 6 months, and finally took a new job a few weeks ago. I'm sure that in areas that are getting a lot of ARRA money (like this one), demand for engineers is increasing. Thats probably where a lot of these survey results came from.

Back