Engineering Economics

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^^

Agreed. That's pretty much exactly what I'm trying to say, although much clearer :thumbs:

I have no idea what was on these guy's exam, and it has absolutely no bearing on what will be on your exam.
This I agree with. Study what's on the NCEES breakdown, and be prepared for everything on there.

I'm as paranoid as you are benbo, so I won't go into specifics, but on my exam there were at least 4 sections mentioned on the NCEES paperwork which were not covered by the exam. There were not, however, any questions on the exam which weren't mentioned on the NCEES paperwork.... so I would guess they won't surprise you with anything. However don't bank on a certain area carrying you because NCEES says it will be a certain %age, it may be no where near that.
I don't understand what you mean about NCEES paperwork. Do you mean the diagnostic? Because I thought you passed the exam, in which case you wouldn't get a diagnostic generally. Unless they send this in some states like Texas or something.

If you actually got a diagnostic which said you got a certain percentage in an area which you feel wasn't even on the test then either -

1. That is a SERIOUS problem which needs to be addressed by NCEES. They are lying to you, and to other examinees who depend on this diagnostic to study.

or

2. They interpet the subject matter "section" of a question differently than you do. which is what I posted about five posts back. I go with this explanation, and I would defer to the panel of experts who actually prepare the exam.

Yah, I'm sorry, I meant the specifications provided on NCEES's site. I passed and as such didn't receive an assestment.

I think you're likely correct that NCEES classifies some of the problems differently than somebody taking the test would.
Haha, we've beaten this horse to death and then some. Some questions, such as certain code questions, explicitly state what they are. Looking at the practice exam you can get a good example of this, in the practice exam they'll state "According to the 2008 National Electric Code (NEC)...".

If one were to take the test, and if one were to count the number of occurances of the 2008 NEC he/she may or may not arrive to the same number as NCEES did. PE to BE observed different values of this during the test, as I referrenced earlier, and.... again from paranoia, I'm not going to say which sections; I observed large variances between the test make up and NCEES's specifications as well.

This does not stem from me classifying them as one then when NCEES classifies them as another. It would be very hard to do that.

At the end of the day, you didn't take the October PE test Benbo, I don't believe you've taken the new format, so what you have to say on the matter is hearsay. I've taken the actual exam and these are my observations.

Take them or leave them as you'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:
If one were to take the test, and if one were to count the number of occurances of the 2008 NEC he/she may or may not arrive to the same number as NCEES did. PE to BE observed different values of this during the test, as I referrenced earlier, and.... again from paranoia, I'm not going to say which sections; I observed large variances between the test make up and NCEES's specifications as well.
Good grief. I can't even tell what we are arguing about now. Can you please post on here the section of the specifications where it says how many NEC questions will be on the test?

Here is what I see -

C. Codes and Standards

12.5%

1. National Electrical Code (NEC)

2. National Electrical Safety Code (NESC)

3. Electric shock and burns

This means, using my interpretation and what Flyer wrote, was that 12.5% of the questions will be on "Codes and Standards", examples of which are NEC, NESC, and electric shocks and burns. These are not exhaustive examples - NCEES could include other things they consider under the rubric of "Codes and Standards." And they could have absolutely zero questions onany of items 1, 2, or 3 and the specs would still be correct.

and under this,

B. Special Applications

10%

1. Lightning and surge protection

2. Reliability

3. Illumination engineering

4. Demand and energy management/calculations

5. Engineering economics

They could very easily have zero economics questions. My original answer stated that if they say there will be a certain percentage in a certain area, there will be. This only gives suggested topics, but states that 10% will come from this group. Take that to the bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would classify problems such as "annual cost of a light bulb" as engineering economics.

Its not just questions using the % interest tables.

Back