Electrocution in Washington

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^Yep. Ask any farm kid that has ever been dumb enough to pee on an electric fence.

Didn't Mythbusters already cover this one. albeit peeing on the third rail of a subway rather than a power line? They decided it couldn't happen because it was never really a solid stream. They finally managed to eletrocute Buster but only they had him peeing like a garden hose.

Didn't Mythbusters already cover this one. albeit peeing on the third rail of a subway rather than a power line? They decided it couldn't happen because it was never really a solid stream. They finally managed to eletrocute Buster but only they had him peeing like a garden hose.
I think being electrocuted by a power line would be easier since it is AC at about 12-25+ kV while the 3rd rail is about 1200V DC.

I would bet against step-potential, which is the potential difference between one point of ground and another, theoretically allowing current flow up one leg, across the unit, and down the next leg, since this requires pretty high fault currents. The article mentions he crashed into a power pole so it was probably just Distribution class (12-25kV). Much more likely is the pee theory.

Back in the 90's I spent a day in fire control safety training and saw a test of just how close to energized equipment a fire hose can spray. The answer was "surprisingly close" IF a wide spray pattern is used. For a direct stream, the electricity WILL arc through the water.

A couple of years ago, at the end of a running and drinking event, a friend of mine went off to pee in the bushes several times, in the same place, and kept coming back and telling us that he felt funny, and wondered if you could get electrocuted from pissing on a phone junction box (which was what he had been doing). Most of us doubted him and just ignored him. But then he came back kind of staggering, saying his heart felt like it wasn't beating right, so we decided to take a look. The first thing that caught our eyes was some intermittent light up above us. It turned out that an ironwood tree (a kind evergreen) was growing near the phone box and was touching the powerline above, and sparking in the wind. My friend had been touching the ironwood while he was peeing - getting intermittent shocks. His girlfriend took him to the hospital and they monitored him overnight because his heartbeat was, indeed, irregular from the event. He was OK by the next morning, though.

Most girls I've known to pee in the snow are excellent and making shapes of planets, cookies, dinner plates, or the little dots on a lower case "i".

Yes, Mythbusters did cover the peeing on the third rail myth and busted that myth. However, the third rail is typically only 600 V, whereas a distribution line is typically anywhere from 5000 to 35000 V. The higher voltage can arc a lot farther through air, and I doubt would have much trouble bridging the air gaps between droplets.

Latest posts

Back