Electrical PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in digital design, unfortunately the computers section has a little too much software/networks for my taste. The actual PM (ECC) was a lot more difficult then what I had prepared for, especially the Comm. questions.

I just hope the exam was as difficult for most :unsure:

The waiting really stinks :suicide: :tone: :eek:ld timer: :duhh: :ZZZ:

I work in acoustics - it's a little of mechanical (equations of motion, ie vibration) and a little of electrical (measurement, ie communication and control). There is only one state that offers the PE in Acoustics (Oregon); not practical for me to consider it for two reasons - I need a MI license and it's a long way to go (and expensive) to take the test! :(

I thought the PM ECC had too little com and control and opted for Power thinking KCL and KVL could get me through it (I personally think that transistors flaunt Maxwell's equations, throw the theory in your face and say "we don't behave that way!", but maybe I'm just biased that way :eek: ). Unfortunately, I'm not that great with AC/DC machines either, so the emphasis on generation (motors) vs transmission/distribution hurt me too. For example, I don't remember a single problem that I had to use per unit values to solve, and I spent some time studying that technique.

The upshot of it is that you don't know what you're going to get; there is so much to know in every field and unless you're brilliant or have no life, you can't possibly be prepared for everything that NCEES might throw at you. I am not brilliant, my wife complains that I have no life outside work and the PE, and I spent way too much time studying subjects that didn't appear on the exam :brick:

Better luck in April, I hope B)

I didn't do the "have no life" study thing, but I worked a ton of problems and felt I was prepared as I was going to get for the test. I still thought it was hard, which is scary knowing you studied as much you ever will, yet may not pass.

Unless you deal with power on an everyday basis like I do, I can see how it would be almost impossible to pass the afternoon power section. I was suprised at the amount of "real world" questions involved in the afternoon.

I struggled on a lot of the morning, especially the electronics questions. There aren't a lot of power engineers out there that will get those right.

The waiting is worse than the time leading up to the test. I'm bracing myself for the realization that I may have to take it again in April and wondering how I will get the courage to study for it again, considering I was all studied out going into the October exam.

Worst of all, is if I don't get my PE, I can't go any further in my current company!

I took the PE lasst year and thought that it was ruff ... espically things relating to code. However ... I PASSED. But this weekend I took the FE for the x time and thought it was more difficult than the PE. Honestly I would rather have taken the PE over. I would hedge my bets on passing the PE again versus passing the FE.
:wtf: Why are you taking the FE if you already have your PE?

I took the PE lasst year and thought that it was ruff ... espically things relating to code.  However ... I PASSED.  But this weekend I took the FE for the x time and thought it was more difficult than the PE.  Honestly I would rather have taken the PE over.  I would hedge my bets on passing the PE again versus passing the FE.
:wtf: Why are you taking the FE if you already have your PE?
some states allow this...but you don't get your PE til you pass the FE...

that would suk big time :eek:

Keep the faith!!! I took the PE - Power module in April. I had been out of college for 24 years, had not taken the PE (waived by my state board based on over 16 yrs experince) and studied like a fiend. I came out of the exam feeling pretty good about it but over the ensuing weeks ranged in emotion to still feeling pretty good to knowing I didn't pass and starting thinking about studying for the Oct exam. My wife would periodically check on me in my little office to make sure I wasn't studying....she had more faith than I did.

The 8 week wait was a bear to get the results but I did pass. Stay upbeat!!!!

:beerchug HOMEBREW?!?! My brother! :beerchug

Emailing you for that recipe, rather than hijack the thread to unrelated topics. I've got a Fat Tire ready for racking and a Peach Wheat in the bottle. Might like to try an Apricot Cream, if you'll verify it's quality by applying your Z.E. stamp (Zymurgilogical Engineer).

Yeah, VTS and I both took the exam in Vermont in April. We shot the breeze for a few minutes during the lunch break, and when we saw each other on here, vowed to meet up at a local brewery to celebrate if we passed.

A mutual fondness for homebrewing was discovered.

As far as the apricot ale, it was straight out of a kit. A friend bought it and we brewed using my equipment.

I generally brew with grains + extract. You an extract guy or hardcore into the full mashing?

Hey VTEnviro-- I feel like I've dropped off the earth.... seriously, I've been real busy at my primary job and now that I've got my PE, I've picked up a few consulting jobs on the side. You know, I have to pay the daughter's college bill!!!

Beer sounds good....need to get in shape for skiing --make that apres ski!!!

:beerchug Partial masher - extract & grains, not hardcore masher. I've found some clone recipes I like and tweak a little each time: Sam Smith Oatmeal, Sierra Celebration, Fat Tire. :jacked: Back on topic. Gosh, that PE Exam was hard. I was talking to a fellow-sufferer the other day and, without violating our non-disclosure agreement in any way, we agreed that some of the problems were unsolvable, that there were multiple answers that were real-world-bogus, and that we were likely doomed to meet again in April.

O I am sorry for not responding earlier but I was trying to keep my mind off the results. In Illinois you can not get your license unless you pass both the FE & PE.

Soory for the delay Art & VTskier ... Thanks for the response Art.

I am preparing for a promotional exam at my job :wtf:

Back