Electrical PE, April 2008

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took it in Seattle and when I looked up after the Exam I noticed no oone had left early (that means all tests mechanical, Civil etc.) Seattle is a "bright" area and everyone looked really tired after the Exam. I think this years tets were hard.
I'm not sure what you mean by Seattle being a "bright" area. Everyone who takes the exam has similar qualifications, takes the same test, and is judged by the same standards. As far as I know there is no great disparity in pass rates from state to state. Maybe, but I've never seen it printed anywhere.

Even if the Seattle area is generally higher educated than the norm, they don't draw the test takers from the general population at large.

I'm not sure what you mean by Seattle being a "bright" area. Everyone who takes the exam has similar qualifications, takes the same test, and is judged by the same standards. As far as I know there is no great disparity in pass rates from state to state. Maybe, but I've never seen it printed anywhere.
Even if the Seattle area is generally higher educated than the norm, they don't draw the test takers from the general population at large.
Like I said I'm not that Bright nor am I dumb. That was Dumb thing to say. I could think of a lot of competitive places like Houston, Miami, LA, Dallas, Boston, Mnn St Paul, I guess locale has nothing to do with it. I apologize if I offended anyone

KAPLAN's Power Book is a great reference. I am one book short in that area. I know Schaum's is good but its too condensed.Anyone get any recommendations?

The problem sets on the NCEES LSES PE sample Power Exam are good. Its hard to find similar problems so i did all the power problem's in Kaplan's Book and Camara's Book.. thats not bad prep but I hope NCEES/ELSES puts out a new edition soon

Like I said I'm not that Bright nor am I dumb. That was Dumb thing to say. I could think of a lot of competitive places like Houston, Miami, LA, Dallas, Boston, Mnn St Paul, I guess locale has nothing to do with it. I apologize if I offended anyone
It didn't really offend me. I just didn't know what you based the statement on. Goodluck on the test.

I do not want to justify a possible failure this time, but in my opinion I found this test harder than the previous one. However, I do not feel as bad because I did what I could based on my preparation. I am glad to “remember” making stupid mistakes, but those are few. In other words, what I knew, I felt pretty confident about my resolutions. Let’s wait until June (Florida) to see what happens.
I have a question: Do you know anyone who had to take 12 credits because of the 3-times fail? If yes, would be like taking 4 additional college level courses?

Thanks.

RC.
You don't have to justify, rationalize, or otherwise explain pass or fail. We are all friends here and understand that taking this exam is a monumental undertaking.

My understanding about the 12 credit hours is that it would be equivalent to four (4) additional UPPER DIVISION college courses. I don't know more beyond that statement.

You folks shouldn't despair! If the test was especially hard, they will adjust the cut score. It is not exactly like a curve, but usually about the same number of people end up passing, even for a really hard exam.
I completely agree with benbo! Everyone took the time to take the exam now is a time for cautious OPTIMISM! Hope for a passing score but be prepared to :bio: if you don't receive the passing score. Don't begin your lamentations just yet ....

JR

For EE - power afternoon session, read: BUY THE WILDI TEXT. There were no less than 5 problems that I had *no idea* on, but I was able to find the answers in the text. The types of problems I am talking about are the "practical" or hands-on problems. You must know a little bit about the topic in order to know where to look in the index, but this one was so much better than the other power-depth text often mentioned (by Grainger). I brought both but used Wildi 10x as much during the test.

Link is to Amazon, but look around and you can find it for about $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Machines-...3562&sr=8-1

Back