Electrical - Depth choices and why?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metroplex

Reaction score
I noticed that many (if not all) of the people who passed their electrical PE chose the power depth. Is this your area of expertise at work, or was it easier? I found it to be slightly more cumbersome to work with compared to instrumentation/electronics.

I noticed that many (if not all) of the people who passed their electrical PE chose the power depth. Is this your area of expertise at work, or was it easier? I found it to be slightly more cumbersome to work with compared to instrumentation/electronics.
I think it has to do with the field of work. There are more and more EEs working at utilities that are obtaining their PE Licenses just to be able to jump to consulting. pay at utilities sucks.

I don't think people are taking the power depth of the PE exam because it is easier. I think there are more people in the power field that want to get PE licenses. I think the reason for this is a license is rarely, if ever, required in other fields within EE--while there is an occasional need for a PE in the power industry.

And I disagree DK, I don't think utility pay is all that bad--but that may depend on your location.

Will an Electrical PE now get a license for 1 of the 3 disciplines or will it still be considered a general electrical PE license?

Back