EB Survivor Challenge 3

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapper PE LS

Aspiring Couch Potato
Reaction score
Challenge 3:

TASK: Develop a 5 question sample exam and solution set for the new Magic Engineering Depth Exam to be offered by NCEES during the April 2015 exam administration.

COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS: Each team will provide 5 questions that will be answered by the opposing team. The solution set must be sent to me so I can grade each team's performance. The scores will be averaged and the team with the highest average score wins.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: The questions must be solvable, and any necessary reference information must be provided. However, don't let that stop you from coming up with creative, challenging, and obscure questions.

Here is an example: What is the minimum diameter of a wooden broomstick given an 85th percentile wizard weight of 145 lbs and max fliying speed of 90 mph.

The answer would basically be determine the shear force of a 145 lbs point load on a simply supported wooden beam, determine the shear strength needed, size the beam accordingly.

A few items that might make good questions: Infusion rate of darkness into magical rings forged in the Fires of Mordor. Insulation thickness required of dragonproof armor to protect the occupant from dragon flames of X degrees. Determination of density of fairy dust needed to make a 200 ton ship fly. Stuff along those lines.

DUE DATE: Sample problems and solutions need to be PMed to me by 5PM EST WED 19 FEB 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
Formal request to provide submission as I thought the deadline was CST, not EST. We have questions drafted.

Challenge 3:

TASK: Develop a 5 question sample exam and solution set for the new Magic Engineering Depth Exam to be offered by NCEES during the April 2015 exam administration.

COORDINATING INSTRUCTIONS: Each team will provide 5 questions that will be answered by the opposing team. The solution set must be sent to me so I can grade each team's performance. The scores will be averaged and the team with the highest average score wins.

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: The questions must be solvable, and any necessary reference information must be provided. However, don't let that stop you from coming up with creative, challenging, and obscure questions.

Here is an example: What is the minimum diameter of a wooden broomstick given an 85th percentile wizard weight of 145 lbs and max fliying speed of 90 mph.

The answer would basically be determine the shear force of a 145 lbs point load on a simply supported wooden beam, determine the shear strength needed, size the beam accordingly.

A few items that might make good questions: Infusion rate of darkness into magical rings forged in the Fires of Mordor. Insulation thickness required of dragonproof armor to protect the occupant from dragon flames of X degrees. Determination of density of fairy dust needed to make a 200 ton ship fly. Stuff along those lines.

DUE DATE: Sample problems and solutions need to be PMed to me by 5PM EST WED 19 FEB 2014.
Formal request to provide submission as I thought the deadline was CST, not EST. We have questions drafted.
I see EST, not CST. sounds like a disqualification to me

I see EST, not CST. sounds like a disqualification to me
well-thats-just-like-your-opinion-man-gif-the-dude-lebowski.gif

Okay, questions (with answers removed) sent to opposing teams. Instructions given, make sure you spread them around to all the team members, I only sent them to one person from each team, because apparently, though I'm an admin, I can't send PM's to multiple recipients... anymore.... ahem, Knightfox, do I need to become an admin again and fix all this shit?

more importantly, make sure KF knows the difference between EST and CST. :poking:

For everybody's amusement, here are the questions:

Frozen Chosen's submission:

1) What is the average time for a unicorn to wipe a centaur's ass with his horn after partying with Fudgey with the following assumptions:
a) the 85% percentile unicorn,
b) centaur with BMI 26 (non-athletic build),
c) coefficient of friction of horn to ass is 0.5.

2) A cleric is attempting to produce color changing, paramagnetic mana. In fact, this cleric did so in Scotland on the banks of Loch Ness many many many years ago. Assume mana has the same mass and properties of nitrogen. Unfortunately, created mana had a half life of 3 nanoseconds, melted the cleric, his ooze fell into the water and completely destroyed any hope of the existence of prehistoric type creatures ("monster(s)") in the loch. Don't ask how, it's just that this is all true. How the hell can you still believe the Loch Ness Monster exists?

3) a wizard is flying on his broomstick and suddenly stops to avoid an obstacle. While flying in a downward direction at 35 mph, and assuming a deceleration rate of 11.2 ft/sc^2, his perception-reaction time is 2 seconds. the stopping distance (ft) is most nearly:

a) 118
b) 170
c) 213
d) 221

4) a wizard is flying on his broomstick along a straight path to a known stopping point at a downward grade of 5% and at 45 mph. the required stopping sight distance in order to not hit a dwarf which is 25 feet in front of the known stopping point, his stopping sight distance (feet) is most nearly:

a) 395
b) 420
c) 360
d) 370

5) Purple mana was created using a Froth's tongue in cerebral monostep time process displacements. How many witches had their skin surface temperatures increase more than 0.8 Kelvin once the reaction took place? Assume emissivity of 0.83 and wine cooler temperatures of 43 F.

The answer is most nearly:

HBB's submission:

Question 1-

You are scheduled to attend a massive Wizardly Gathering of 3200, but the group 40 wizards you are traveling with has ended up at the wrong location. Planned a head of time, those who have already arrived will preform the charm lumos in order to light the way for those traveling by broom and you see a 10 % sky glow in the distance and take flight in that direction. If the group’s maximum speed is 10 mph, how long will it take you to arrive? (all drag coefficients have been factored into the given speed)

Question 2-

It is well known that elves, after consuming a diet high in potatoes emit ‘elfin potato gas’ as a by product of digestion. Previously this gas, if captured could be utilized to energize the entire elfin village but was illegal because when processed, a toxic by product is produced that could be potentially harmful to other creatures and beings. Due to an energy crisis, the Great Governing Group of Creatures and Beings (GGGCB) has determined that if communities are willing to monitor the amounts of the by product, and establish practices that keep the levels down to a non-toxic and manageable level, they will lift the restrictions on the use of elfin potato gas. As an employee of the GEVA energy company, you have been tasked with meeting the GGGCB requirements as well as been elected to serve on a panel of peers to establish standard protocols. Modeling after previous human standards, and knowing that GEVA energy will not be the producer, what scope would you model GEVA’s calculations under?

Question 3 (essay):

discuss 1 or more different methods for evaluating the energy requirement for scattering a planetary mass at sufficient velocity to overcome gravitational attraction. This pertains the amount of energy required to destroy Princess Leia's home world, Alderaan.

Question 4:

Using a warp factor of 7, calculate the number of days required to reach Alpha Centauri (4.3 light years away). Bonus points for number of days to reach the Andromeda Galaxy.

Question 5:

What is the atomic weight of Adamantium?

Back