EB Cycling Club

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband is currently about to get a mountain bike built. That would bring his total up to 3. A beater bike, a road bike, and a mountain bike. I have two road bikes, but one is treated more like a beater bike (cheaper parts but still a good steel frame), and one much nicer road bike that I had custom built.

Unless for a future mini Leggo, we will likely never buy a prebuilt bike again. And that is fine by us!

You have jumped into the cyclist stereotype wholeheartedly. Welcome! Number of bikes needed = N+1, where N = current number of bikes owned. Also, you are upgrading your bikes at a record pace!
I've now got a local guy trying to sell me a 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon for basically 1/2 of list price.  He upgrades every two years.  In really good shape other than normal cassette/chain wear.  Mrs. Supe will kill me if I do it...

I've now got a local guy trying to sell me a 2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon for basically 1/2 of list price.  He upgrades every two years.  In really good shape other than normal cassette/chain wear.  Mrs. Supe will kill me if I do it...
Just tell her it's cheaper than another race car.

FWIW he was asking $3k with room to negotiate.  He upgrades every 2 years, so is wanting to sell to get an order in for a 2021.  It looks clean in the pics with only very minor scratches on fork and around bottom bracket.  Had a downtube protector on it from day one:

2018 Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon

• Fox Float rear shock, Fox 34 front (110/120)
  • XT shifter/derailleur/brakes
  • Reverb dropper post
  • Raceface wheels (29er with 27.5+ capability), Maxxis Minion front and Ardent rear
  • Raceface stem and carbon bars
  • XTR pedals (which I'd swap, as I don't like clipless)
  • Fresh pads/brake bleed
  • Shocks serviced fall of 2019
  • Casette/chain have about 50% life

The Santa Cruz would be an amazing step up. I think you'd be really, really happy with it. Plus it'll weigh at least 50% less than your current set up (I'm guessing more like 65-70%). 

It's actually not that much lighter - 27 lbs vs. 32 for the Trek.  Being a hardtail really keeps the weight down on the Trek.  The biggest hurdle will be Mrs. Supe and my pending divorce if I buy it...

tenor.gif

I took mini-ble out to a local park yesterday and got in about 4 miles of riding. It's an old golf course, so they've repurposed the cart paths into walking/biking paths. We had a good time and I hope to do this at least once a week with him.

Looks like the Trek is also getting an upgrade!  The warranty crank will be going in the spares bin.  While looking through reviews of Box components, I found a thread that took me to Velomine who is selling off all their box stuff on closeout.  I just got the Box 2 rear derailleur, 11 speed 46t cassette, shifter, and chain for a 1x conversion for $139 shipped, which is less than half price.  I opted for that over their X-wide 50 tooth option, because the 46t version of the derailleur is shorter, and around here, the roots/rocks are killer but I almost never use the granny gear on the climbs.  Now I just need to find a crank and front chain ring to match.  And then go buy that Tallboy.

I will admit to being skeptical of the 1X setup for mountain bikes, but after buying and riding one for about a year now, I have zero issues with it, and like it a lot. I have not met a hill that I can't climb (yet) with my 1X.

Looks like the Trek is also getting an upgrade!  The warranty crank will be going in the spares bin.  While looking through reviews of Box components, I found a thread that took me to Velomine who is selling off all their box stuff on closeout.  I just got the Box 2 rear derailleur, 11 speed 46t cassette, shifter, and chain for a 1x conversion for $139 shipped, which is less than half price.  I opted for that over their X-wide 50 tooth option, because the 46t version of the derailleur is shorter, and around here, the roots/rocks are killer but I almost never use the granny gear on the climbs.  Now I just need to find a crank and front chain ring to match.  And then go buy that Tallboy.
Meanwhile I'm over here on my $200 used bike...

Latest posts

Back